Thursday, April 18, 2013
Greatest moments of 2012-13 regular season
By Mike Mazzeo
The Brooklyn Nets will take on the Chicago Bulls in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. But let’s take a look back at some of the greatest moments of the regular season:
BEST WIN: A 110-93 win over the Thunder in Oklahoma City on Jan. 2. The Nets were coming off a 31-point loss to the San Antonio Spurs on New Year’s Eve. They lost a massive lead, but closed the game on a 25-8 run to earn the victory. Joe Johnson (33), Brook Lopez (25) and Deron Williams (19) combined for 77 points.
BEST INDIVIDUAL GAME: D-Will hits a franchise-record 11 3-pointers -- an NBA-record nine in the first half -- and finishes with a season-high 42 points in a 95-78 victory over the Washington Wizards on March 8. Williams opened the game by hitting six 3-pointers in the first 4 minutes and 45 seconds.
BEST SHOT: Joe Clutch (X3)! Johnson ended up hitting three game-winning shots this season -- two of them at the buzzer (Detroit, Milwaukee). And who could forget about his go-ahead fadeaway jumper at MSG that allowed the Nets to knot their season-series with the rival New York Knicks at 2? This one is just too close to call.
And now some stats from the season:
• The Nets’ 49 wins was their most since 2005-06. It’s also the second-most for the franchise all-time.
• The Nets ended up 31-5 against sub-.500 opponents (at time of game played).
• P.J. Carlesimo finished 35-19 as interim coach, the best start for any coach in franchise history.
• Deron Williams wrapped up the season with a franchise-record 169 3-pointers.
• Brook Lopez finished with 36 20-plus point games.
• Reggie Evans collected 10 or more rebounds in a team-leading 45 games.
• The Nets went 26-4 when scoring 100 or more points.
• The Nets went 38-12 when holding their opponents under 100.