- Ohm Youngmisuk, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
This week we are rolling out some Giants top five lists.
Now we examine five Giants who could have a breakout season in 2013, with more playing time and a bigger role. All these players have three years of experience or less.
1. RB David Wilson –- Wilson came on strong late in the 2012 season, with 230 of his 358 rushing yards coming in three of the last four games. He started two of the last three and gave the Giants a glimpse of what he can do as a No. 1 back. GM Jerry Reese said Wilson can carry the load of being a starter.
2. WR Rueben Randle –- The Giants’ second-round pick last year also came on late in the season, with four catches for 58 yards and two touchdowns in his only start, against the Eagles in the season finale. Domenik Hixon is reliable and can make some big catches, but it may be time to see what Randle can do as the team's full-time third wide receiver.
3. RT James Brewer -– Reese and the coaching staff talked quite a bit about Brewer before training camp last year. The 2011 fourth-round pick may be in the mix to start at right tackle in 2013. David Diehl is entering the final year of his contract, and left tackle Will Beatty is a free agent. It might be time to see if Brewer is ready for a bigger role.
4. DE Adrian Tracy –- Tracy has played both linebacker and defensive end, and could see more snaps this coming season depending on what happens with Osi Umenyiora and what the Giants do in free agency and the draft. Umenyiora sounds ready to move on, and the Giants need another young pass rusher to provide a spark. Tracy had four tackles and a sack in the win over the 49ers last season.
5. MLB Mark Herzlich/OLB Spencer Paysinger –- These two linebackers are entering their third seasons, and they could be in store for increased playing time. Chase Blackburn and Keith Rivers are unrestricted free agents, and Michael Boley saw his snaps reduced in the final two games of the season. Perhaps the Giants think their young trio of linebackers -- Jacquian Williams, Herzlich and Paysinger -- are ready for bigger roles?
Tell us who you think is ready for a breakout season in 2013 below.
This week we are rolling out some Giants top five lists.So far, we have taken a look at five Giants leaders, the five biggest base salaries on the roster, five Giants injuries to monitor in the offseason, and five bounce-back candidates.