Tom Coughlin isn’t the only one who hopes there will soon be a resolution to the Osi Umenyiora standoff.
Giants CEO and co-owner John Mara told the Newark Star-Ledger that he thinks the Giants and the defensive end will work things out.
"Yes. I think it will be resolved and he’ll be a Giant this year," Mara told the Star-Ledger. "It’s something we can work out. We’re already talking to his agent to do something incentive wise with his contract to make him happy."
Umenyiora wants a new contract or to be traded or have the last year of his two-year contract taken off.
The Giants have offered to add performance incentives to his contract such as sack incentives.
According to ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, additional incentives would kick in if Umenyiora registers 13.5 sacks. ESPN New York 1050 NFL Insider Vinny Cerrato reported last Friday that the Giants offered up to $2 million if Umenyiora reaches 15 sacks.
Umenyiora would rather have his contract redone or shave off a year from his current deal so he can play one year and then become a free agent. He had 11.5 sacks last year. His career-high of 14.5 sacks came in 2005.
During that year, he signed a seven-year, $41-million extension, including $15 million guaranteed. He has two years remaining on that deal, with a little more than $7 million in total base salary.
"We want him on this team," Mara said. "He belongs here. He’s had a great career here. He adds a lot to this team. I always say, the reason we were able to win Super Bowl XLII was that they couldn’t block our front. That was the first time all year Tom Brady faced that kind of pressure. That, to me, is the heart of our team.”