Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Coughlin fired up for start of minicamp
By Kieran Darcy
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- An exuberant Tom Coughlin spoke with reporters on Tuesday morning at the start of the Giants' veteran minicamp.
The 65-year-old, who just signed a contract extension last week that will take him through the 2014 season, sounded excited to get back to work. These are the final three days the coaching staff can work with the players prior to training camp, which commences at the end of July in Albany.
"We’re gonna throw a lot at them," said Coughlin. "We’ll install, and then we’ll jog through, we’ll install again, and then practice. So in other words they’re getting two days of installation, and we’re trying to get as much information to them as we possibly can, and we’ll go through our corrections in the evening."
The Giants will return the nucleus from their Super Bowl-winning team of a year ago. But they still have some holes to fill. For instance, they will be looking for a No. 2 running back to pair with Ahmad Bradshaw, now that Brandon Jacobs is with the 49ers. And they are looking for a No. 3 wide receiver, with Mario Manningham also jumping to San Francisco.
"We’re gonna get some people lined up [this week]," Coughlin said. "We have formulated some opinions, but it’ll take training camp and some preseason games before we start to be able to do some further thoughts with some of the young kids."
Some other notes from Coughlin's Tuesday talk with reporters:
• Coughlin was, of course, asked about offensive lineman David Diehl and his DUI arrest on Sunday.
"David is very remorseful," Coughlin said. "He’s a very proud young man, as you know. He’s very sorry for what happened. He’s been an exemplary citizen for this organization. I think he understands it completely, and he recognizes -- he’s gonna be a very, very good spokesman for helping young people try to understand his mistake.
"He’s a guy we’ve always been able to count on, and he’ll learn from his error."
Diehl is here and will participate fully in minicamp.
• The Giants re-signed veteran defensive tackle Rocky Bernard on Monday. The 33-year-old spent the past three seasons with Big Blue, appearing in all 16 regular-season games last year, and collecting 30 tackles.
"Good football player that helps us in a lot of different ways," Coughlin said. "Solid, solid guy, great in the classroom, great with his teammates.
"He’s in excellent shape, his weight is outstanding, so you can’t have enough of quality football players."
Coughlin also said re-signing Bernard had nothing to do with Shaun Rogers' elbow injury. The Giants signed the 33-year-old Rogers during the offseason, but he has been unable to participate in any workouts so far with the team, and is not expected to participate in this week's minicamp.
• In other injury news, tight end Martellus Bennett -- who the Giants signed away from the Cowboys in the offseason -- should participate in at least some activities during minicamp. Bennett has been struggling with a hamstring injury.
"He says he’s gonna try to go," Coughlin said. "I’d say he’s probably 50-50, on what he can participate in."
Tight end Adrien Robinson, the team's fourth-round draft choice out of Cincinnati, will be in action after missing some OTA time in order to finish up the school semester.
Defensive tackle Markus Kuhn, the team's seventh-round draft choice out of N.C. State, will not be able to participate, however, because the German native is still waiting on his work visa.