Monday, July 23, 2012
Grant expects to return to Giants
By Ohm Youngmisuk
Deon Grant remains unsigned as the Giants near training camp. But he told his hometown newspaper that he expects to return to the defending Super Bowl champions.
According to the Augusta Chronicle, Grant expects to re-sign with the Giants at some point during camp. Last season, Grant didn't sign until a few weeks into camp.
The Giants currently have Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips as their starting safeties. Grant was the team's third safety in Perry Fewell's three-safety look which was used often over the past two seasons. Grant is a highly-respected voice in the locker room. At the moment, Tyler Sash is considered the third safety with Stevie Brown, Chris Horton and Will Hill among the safeties competing for a roster spot.
Grant, 33, is entering his 13th season but says he feels better than he has in a few years.
“This is the first year in three or four years –- and this was the longest one -– that I can say I came out completely healthy,” Grant told the Chronicle after being honored with an exhibit at the Augusta Museum of History. “I revamped everything and my body feels wonderful right now.”
The coaching staff has been impressed by Brown and Hill so far. But Grant provides veteran experience and knows Fewell's defense.