• One of the first things we noticed at practice was safety Will Hill lining up where Deon Grant used to be as the third safety lined up with the linebackers. Hill was active and all over the field, getting physical and colliding with a few players, including rookie David Wilson.
Hill has impressed the coaching staff and will continue to get a shot with Tyler Sash suspended for four games to start the season. Hill looks athletic and fast.
"Will Hill is practicing well," Coughlin said. "I think he got himself into a good weight for a safety in the spring and then lost some weight in Florida training. So you see a real quick, well-conditioned athlete right now. So he has definitely had a couple of days where he has stood out and he has stood out on teams too."
• WR David Douglas has also caught the eye of Coughlin and now the fans. He made the catch of camp so far when he hauled in a one-handed 40-yard catch while falling down on Janzen Jackson, who had good coverage. Douglas is athletic, has size (6-1), the Cowboys had interest in him before he signed with the Giants and has shown terrific hands.
• Linebacker Greg Jones got some reps at middle linebacker with Muasau out and moved between MLB and OLB. He was very active as well, running so hard at times that he ran into ball carriers and heard from Coughlin about it after he wrapped up Wilson. So when he went to chase down Ahmad Bradshaw and ran into him, he quickly stuck his arms up in the air the way Kevin Garnett does after contact in the paint to show he hasn't done anything wrong. Coughlin praised Jones for his first week of practice.
• Jacquian Williams has added 20 pounds in the offseason and has tried to be more physical in practices. He came in hard and got physical with Bear Pascoe on a pass rush. He definitely has tried to let people know he plans on being more physical this season.
• First small camp skirmish: Brandon Collins and Brandon Bing got into a tussle. The battle of the Brandons ended with Collins' helmet flying off.
• Before Horton left practice, he showed some nice speed coming in on a blitz and got by Adrien Robinson into the backfield. Another safety who hasn't been mentioned much is Jojo Nicolas, who made a nice breakup on a deep pass early in practice.
• LB Mark Herzlich nearly picked off a pass that went off his hands before later colliding and knocking down Andre Brown on a would-be tackle.
• CB Justin Tryon continued to show how scrappy he is, battling the much taller Ramses Barden and knocking down a pass. Barden did make a nice twisting catch on a pass that was behind him earlier in practice.
• Manning found soft spots in the defense twice on passes to tight ends Bear Pascoe and Martellus Bennett.
• Hosley had an interception off David Carr before he left practice. But Carr later made a nice play, taking a flea flicker from Da'Rel Scott and hitting a wide open Dan DePalma behind the defense.
• Rueben Randle came down with a nice leaping grab over Bruce Johnson. Both guys had their hands on the ball but Randle came up with it.
• Domenik Hixon made a terrific catch, grabbing a high ball over Amukamara from Manning in a two-minute drill to put the offense near the end zone. He came down hard but got up.
• The practice ended with Mathias Kiwanuka and Bennett locked in a tussle before needing to be separated.