Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Practice report: Gettin' tricky with it
By Kieran Darcy
David Wilson & Co. had a little fun on the practice field Wednesday.
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- On Tuesday, Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell experimented with several different formations during practice.
On Wednesday, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride got a little creative.
During 11-on-11 red zone work about 2/3 of the way through practice, the Giants ran a halfback option play. David Wilson got the ball on the left of Eli Manning, launched a left-handed pass toward the left corner of the end zone, and a wide open Victor Cruz hauled the ball in for a touchdown.
The crowd ate it up, cheering boisterously. Who doesn't love a trick play?
The Giants attempted 539 passes last season -- Manning threw 536 of them, and backup QB David Carr tossed the other three. But maybe Wilson will get in the mix somewhere along the way this fall?
Here are some other highlights/lowlights from Wednesday's practice:
10 Hottest Issues At Giants Camp
The Super Bowl is at MetLife, and the Giants want in. Here are the 10 issues standing in the way. Top 10Blog »
• During 11-on-11's early on, Carr connected with WR Louis Murphy for a nice gain down the left-hand side. Ryan Nassib tried to connect with TE Chase Clement, and Clement almost made an acrobatic one-handed grab, but he couldn't quite hang on.
• The defense stood out during 7-on-7 work Wednesday. CB Prince Amukamara had a near-pick of Manning on a short pass to Murphy. Carr threw left to Hakeem Nicks and LB Jacquian Williams made a beautiful play, leaping to deflect the ball away. And CB Laron Scott had yet another interception Wednesday -- Carr threw deep left for Murphy, and Scott ran down the ball and made a beautiful over-the-shoulder grab.
• In red zone 11-on-11's, just prior to Wilson's halfback option pass, CB Aaron Ross had excellent coverage on Cruz in the back-left corner of the end zone, breaking up a potential touchdown pass.
• Williams made another nice play during 11-on-11 goal line work, breaking up a Manning pass intended for TE Brandon Myers. But soon after, Manning connected with Cruz for a touchdown over the middle.
• Carr almost threw his second interception of the day in a goal-line set, when he attempted a short pass to WR Kevin Hardy that went right through CB Jayron Hosley's hands. Nassib, on the other hand, hooked up with WR Ramses Barden for a touchdown in the same situation.
• As usual, practice ended with a two-minute drill, and this time around Carr got the nod at QB. He did complete a pass to TE Larry Donnell, but ultimately failed to get his team in the end zone. Gilbride said Tuesday that the backup quarterback job is up for grabs between Carr, Nassib and Curtis Painter. Carr is the favorite, but he definitely didn't put on a great performance Wednesday.