Monday, November 21, 2011
Girls basketball poll: preseason
By Matt Ehalt
Welcome to the first poll of the girls basketball season. As expected, the defending state champs Nazareth are on top and there are plenty of familiar names in this poll. Here's your first look at the top teams in New York City.
1. Nazareth (0-0): When you can send out an entire team full of future Division I players on to the court, you've got a pretty good squad.
2. Christ the King (0-0): CK might not be as talented as last year's team but still will be budding with talent and a top team in the city.
3. Murry Bergtraum (0-0): Bergtraum might not have the star-studded cast like the past but never count out a team coached by Ed Grezinsky.
4. South Shore (0-0): South Shore is hoping to end Bergtraum's run of 13-straight PSAL titles this upcoming season.
5. Mary Louis Academy (0-0): A strong blend of freshman and veterans should help Mary Louis play with the city's elite this season.
6. Molloy (0-0): The defending CHSAA Class "A" champions have a new coach but return a solid nucleus for this upcoming season.
7. JFK (0-0): JFK just could not beat Murry Bergtraum last year. Will it be able to change its luck this upcoming season?
8. Moore Catholic (0-0): The Mavericks have two Division-I players in Christina Rubin and Jamie O'Hare but need more from the other three spots.
9. Francis Lewis (0-0): The Patriots will try to build off a run to the PSAL semifinals last season with a nice cast returning to lead the way.
10. McKee/SI Tech (0-0): MSIT had a great season last year and should be in the thick of things in the PSAL race once again.