Monday, January 2, 2012
Boys basketball poll: Jan. 2
By Matt Ehalt
There's finally some continuity in the poll. Lincoln lost its first game of the season but stays atop the poll as the No. 1 team in the city. Only one small change to the poll as Holy Cross will return and Curtis drops out after its loss to Eagle Academy this week. Let's check out this week's poll.
1. Lincoln (10-1)/(LW: 1) Lincoln went 3-1 at the MaxPreps Holiday Classic Invitational, falling in the final to nationally ranked Mater Dei.
2. Boys & Girls (7-1)/(LW: 3): Boys & Girls moves up one spot in the poll after defeating Robert Vaux (Penn.) on Sunday afternoon.
2. St. Raymond's (7-4)/(LW: 2): The Ravens drop one spot this week after losing their fourth game, albeit an out-of-state loss in a tournament.
4. Christ the King (4-3)/(LW: 4): Christ the King has lost back-to-back games after falling to Neumann Goretti (Penn) and Chester (Penn) in back-to-back days over this past weekend.
5. Cardinal Hayes (8-1)/(LW: 5): Hayes had the week off and returns to action this week against Bishop Ford and Mount St. Michael.
6. Thomas Jefferson (9-4)/(LW: 6): Thomas Jefferson also had the week off and will visit Boys & Girls Wednesday in a big showdown.
7. Xaverian (6-1)/(LW: 7) Xaverian went 2-1 in its tournament in Arizona and suffered its first loss in the process.
8. South Shore (9-4)/(LW: 9): South Shore was one of two New York City teams to win the NYC-Philly battle on Sunday by beating Imhotep.
9. Wings Academy (11-2/(LW: 10): Wings suffered its first two losses of the year, losing to Christ the King and Friends Central (Penn.).
10. Holy Cross (9-2/LW: unranked): Holy Cross works its way back into the rankings by going 8-1 through its last nine games.