Monday, March 5, 2012
Girls basketball poll: March 5
By Matt Ehalt
Is Nazareth wearing down at the wrong time? Our top-ranked team lost for the second time in two weeks as it fell to Christ the King this weekend in the Brooklyn/Queens Division I tournament. While we keep them No. 1, it seems Nazareth is no longer invincbile.
1. Nazareth (15-3)/(LW: 1): Nazareth is holding on to this top spot by a thread and will face St. John the Baptist in the State tournament quarterfinals.
2. Christ the King (15-13)/(LW: 4): CK moves up to the second spot after sweeping Bishop Loughlin, Nazareth and Bishop Ford this past week. It has a bye in the State tournament.
3. Bishop Ford (22-5)/(LW: 2): Bishop Ford reached the Division I final for the first time but lost to Christ the King in a close game. It faces Moore Catholic in the State tournament.
4. Molloy (18-9)/(LW: 4): Molloy lost a heartbreaker in the Brooklyn/Queens tournament to Molloy and will face Long Island's St. Anthony's in the State tournament.
5. South Shore (21-5)/(LW: 5): South Shore held on late against Midwood and will meet McKee/SI Tech in the PSAL quarterfinals.
6. Moore Catholic (20-5)/(LW: 7): Moore Catholic won its second straight Archdiocesan Class AA crown and will meet Bishop Ford in the State tournament quarterfinals.
7. Murry Bergtraum (16-7)/(LW: 8): Murry Bergtraum handled Lincoln with ease and will face Francis Lewis in the PSAL Class AA quarterfinals.
8. McKee/SI Tech (24-2)/(LW: 9): MSIT swept Manhattan Center and JFK and is now in the semifinals against top-seeded South Shore.
9. Bishop Loughlin (11-12)/(LW: 6): Loughlin falls a few spots after losing to CK in the quarterfinals and has a bye in the Class A State playoffs.
10. Spellman (21-6)/(LW: Unranked): Spellman makes its return to the poll after losing in the Archdiocesan title game to Moore. It has a bye in the Class A state playoffs.