Monday, April 16, 2012
Baseball poll: April 16
By Matt Ehalt
An exciting week that saw the conclusion of the James Monroe and George Washington tournaments also saw our top team in New York City lose back-to-back games. With those results on our minds, here's our poll.
1. George Washington (3-0/Last week: 3): The Trojans are in first after winning their tournament by defeating Cardozo, who had previously knocked them off.
2. Grand Street Campus (3-1/Last week: 6): Grand Street Campus won the vaunted James Monroe tournament by defeating the Monroe, Tottenville and Xaverian.
3. Xaverian (3-0/Last week: 5): Xaverian picked up a win against Holy Cross in league play and lost in the Monroe Tournament final to Grand Street Campus.
4. St. Joseph by-the-Sea (1-0/Last week: Unranked): St. Joseph by-the-Sea knocked off Iona Prep in league pay and then took down Poly Prep to complete its week.
5. Cardozo (4-0/Last week: 2): Cardozo made it to the George Washington tournament final but fell to the hosts in a rematch.
6. Poly Prep (3-3/Last week: 1): A big drop for Poly Prep as it lost games to Fieldston and St. Joseph by-the-Sea this week to fall to .500.
7. Iona Prep (2-1/Last week: 4): The Gaels lost to St. Joseph in league play and Xaverian in the Monroe tournament, but did knock off Monsignor Farrell.
8. Tottenville (2-3/Last week: 7): Tottenville finished third in the Monroe tournament, losing to eventual champion Grand Street Campus in the semifinals.
9. James Monroe (4-0/Last week: 8): An unfavorable quarterfinal matchup against Grand Street Campus led to Monroe's early departure from its own tournament.
10. Fordham Prep (0-0/Last week: 10): We're still waiting for the Rams to play their first game of the season so we can see them in action.