Monday, April 23, 2012
Baseball poll: April 23
By Matt Ehalt
It's starting to seem like basketball season around here. For the third straight week, there's a new team atop this poll after Poly Prep defeated George Washington in a non-league game. Here's this week's rankings.
1. Grand Street Campus (5-1/Last week: 2): Grand Street Campus swept its league games this week against EBC/Bushwick Campus ans has three games this week.
2. Xaverian (5-0/Last week: 3): Xaverian had quality wins against St. Francis Prep and McClancy this past week as it shows it might be the team to beat in the CHSAA.
3. St. Joseph by-the-Sea (3-0/Last week: 4: St. Joseph by-the-Sea continues its ascension after defeating Moore Catholic and St. Peter's this past week.
4. Poly Prep (7-3/Last week: 6): Poly Prep won four straight games after losing two straight, including an impressive win against George Washington Saturday in a non-league game.
5. George Washington (6-0/Last week: 1): The Trojans continue to win its league games but have fell to Poly Prep and Cardozo in non-league games on the year.
6. Cardozo (7-0/Last week: 5): Cardozo is also undefeated in league play after defeating Forest Hills twice and William Bryant in Queens A East action this past week.
7. Tottenville (4-3/Last week: 8): Tottenville is above .500 in league play now after wins against Susan Wagner and Petrides this past week.
8. Fordham Prep (3-0/Last week: 10): Fordham Prep started the season off on a right foot with a big against Iona Prep, as well as beating Mount and Stepinac.
9. Norman Thomas (7-0/Last week: Unranked): Norman Thomas makes its first appearance in the poll as it off to a 7-0 start in Manhattan A East this year.
10. Cardinal Spellman (4-1/Last week: Unranked): Cardinal Spellman is also making its debut in the poll after racking up wins against Monsignor Farrell, Iona Prep and others.