New York High School: Bishop Ford
1. Nazareth (18-4)/(LW: 1): Nazareth had a season it will want to forget, because of the tragedy and distractions it faced, and now has to turn its attention to try to keep its school open as it faces closure.
2. Christ the King (15-14)/(LW: 2): Christ the King will be right back in the mix next year as it has one of the most talented sophomores in the city in Sierra Calhoun and other strong players on its roster returning.
3. Moore Catholic (22-6)/(LW: 3): Moore Catholic continues to be one of the best programs in New York City but will have to try to rebound next season without the services of Christina Rubin and Jamie O'Hare.
4. Bishop Ford (22-6)/(LW: 4): Bishop Ford is destined for more success in the future and brings back plenty of strong pieces. There's no reason to think Bishop Ford can't contend for the league title next season.
5. Molloy (19-10)/(LW: 5): Molloy had a great first season under head coach Scott Lagas and will try to duplicate that next season. It has some key juniors like Carolyn Gallagher returning next year which will help.
6. Bishop Loughlin (17-12)/(LW: 7): Loughlin, just like Molloy last year, missed out on the AA playoffs and then swept through the Class A playoffs on its way to its State Federation crown.
7. Murry Bergtraum (18-8)/(LW: 6): Murry Bergtraum won its 14th straight crown and will now try to make it 15 straight years next season. Freshman Ashanae McLaughlin looks like a star in the making in the PSAL.
8. McKee/SI Tech (25-3)/(LW: 8): MSIT had the best season in school history but will now have to try to continue that success without senior Kaityln Astel. Bringing back junior Kelin Walsh will help the Seagulls.
9. South Shore (21-6)/(LW: 9): South Shore had a good season but has to think it underachieved by not reaching the PSAL final. This team will be in the mix once again next year although it loses some key players.
10. Mary Louis (13-17)/(LW: 10): Mary Louis is buoyed by talented freshmen and will be a team to watch in the next few years. In two season, the Hilltoppers could be as good as any team in New York City.
1. Nazareth (18-3)/(LW: 1): Nazareth will meet Murry Bergtraum in the semifinals, a game the Lady Kingsmen won last year for the State Federation title.
2. Christ the King (15-14)/(LW: 2): Christ the King's record may seem mediocre, but the Royals had wins over nationally ranked opponents this year.
3. Moore Catholic (22-6)/(LW: 3): Moore Catholic, along with McKee/SI Tech, showed that Staten Island was one of the toughest boroughs this season.
4. Bishop Ford (22-6)/(LW: 4): Bishop Ford had a successful season despite dropping two winnable games against Christ the King and Moore Catholic to end the season.
5. Molloy (19-10)/(LW: 5): Molloy won the State Federation Class A title last season and had success in the CHSAA Class AA tournament this year, reaching the semifinals.
6. Murry Bergtraum (18-7)/(LW: 6): It's now 14 straight years that Murry Bergtraum has won the PSAL title, one of the most amazing feats in New York City history.
7. Bishop Loughlin (15-12)/(LW: 7): Loughlin will play Rochester East in the semifinals of the State Federation tournament this week.
8. McKee/SI Tech (25-3)/(LW: 8): MSIT led Murry Bergtraum in the fourth quarter but could not hold on and lost a tough one in its first title game appearance.
9. South Shore (21-6)/(LW: 9): South Shore has to think it blew an opportunity as the top seed by not advancing to the PSAL final.
10. Mary Louis (13-17)/(LW: 10): Another team with a mediocre record, but Mary Louis could compete with any team in New York City this year.
1. Nazareth (18-3)/(LW: 1): Nazareth exacted revenge on Christ the King in the semifinals and then took down Moore Catholic easily in the final for its second straight championship.
2. Christ the King (15-14)/(LW: 2): Christ the King fell in the State semifinals to Nazareth, but ended the season as the Brooklyn/Queens Division I tournament champion.
3. Moore Catholic (22-6)/(LW: 6): Moore Catholic moves up three spots after besting Bishop Ford and Molloy in the State tournament, before falling to Nazareth in the final.
4. Bishop Ford (22-6)/(LW: 3): Bishop Ford stumbled at the end of the year, losing its final two games of the season as it dropped games to Christ the King and Moore Catholic.
5. Molloy (19-10)/(LW: 4): Molloy had a huge upset against St. Anthony's in the quarterfinals but fell to Moore Catholic for the second time this season in the semfinals.
6. Murry Bergtraum (17-7)/(LW: 7): For the 14th straight year, Murry Bergtraum will be playing for the PSAL title after defeating Francis Lewis in the semifinals.
7. Bishop Loughlin (15-12)/(LW: 9): Loughlin had a perfect 4-0 week to win the Class A City title and the Class A State title over Mary Louis.
8. McKee/SI Tech (25-2)/(LW: 8): MSIT pulled the upset of the weekend as it defeated top seed, South Shore, in the semifinals, to advance to Madison Square Garden.
9. South Shore (21-6)/(LW: 5): South Shore seemed prime to potentially end Bergtraum's run atop the PSAL but lost in the semifinals to MSIT.
10. Mary Louis (13-17)/(LW: Unranked): Mary Louis returns to the poll after advancing to the Class A City title game and Class A State title game, although it lost both times.
Brooklyn/Queens 1: Christ the King
Brooklyn/Queens 2: Bishop Ford
Brooklyn/Queens 3: Nazareth
Brooklyn/Queens 4: Molloy
Archdiocesan 1: Moore Catholic
Rockville Centre 1: St. Anthony's
Rockville Centre 2: St. John the Baptist
Christ the King--Bye
Nazareth vs. St. John the Baptist
Moore Catholic vs. Bishop Ford
St. Anthony's vs. Nazareth
WHO IS THE TEAM TO BEAT?
EHALT: ST. ANTHONY'S: Nazareth has been slipping lately and St. Anthony's is on a roll. While Nazareth might have been the better team over the course of the season, I don't like how they've played recently. St. Anthony's also demolished Bishop Ford earlier this year.
ABRUZZESE: NAZARETH:The Lady Kingsmen were stunned in the city playoffs, but they still have the most talent of any team in the state and will be motivated to show that they are the best in the State tournament.
WHICH TEAM IS ON UPSET ALERT?
EHALT: MOORE CATHOLIC: This is due to its matchup. Despite being the Archdiocesan champion, it draws Bishop Ford in the quarterfinals. The Lady Falcons are a tough game for any team in this bracket and Moore Catholic has to face them in its first game.
ABRUZZESE: MOORE CATHOLIC: It's hard to see Moore making it past the semifinals as it draws Bishop Ford in the quarters and then it doesn't get any easier as it will face the winner of Molloy/St. Anthony's in th semis.
WHICH TEAM IS THE SLEEPER?
EHALT: CHRIST THE KING: I don't think Christ the King is going to be picked by many people to win this tournament but they have shown that they have the ability to do so. You don't beat teams like Bishop Loughlin, Nazareth and Bishop Ford in a row without being a talented team capable of making a run.
ABRUZZESE: MOLLOY: Molloy is a team with a good coach and a lot of talent. It has a very tough quarterfinal opponent in St. Anthony's, but if it can get past that round it may end up in the finals.
WHAT'S THE BEST QUARTERFINAL?
EHALT: BISHOP FORD VS. MOORE CATHOLIC: I'm looking forward to seeing how this matchup plays out between two of the top teams in New York City. After the great season both of them have had, only one of the will be alive for the semifinals.
ABRUZZESE: MOLLOY VS. ST. ANTHONY'S: This is the two teams that are the most closely matched in the quarters. Either team can easily find itself in the finals too so keep an eye on this game.
WHAT'S THE BEST POTENTIAL SEMIFINAL?
EHALT: CK VS. NAZARETH: This one is easy. These are two rivals who would love nothing more than to knock the other team out. Last season, Nazareth defeated CK for the title and CK just knocked Nazareth out of the Brooklyn/Queens tournament. This should be a battle.
ABRUZZESE: CK VS. NAZARETH:There is not a lot of love between these two teams and they would be facing each other for the fourth time this season. Look for Nazareth to be out for revenge and CK will be trying to show its win in the city playoffs was not a fluke.
WHAT'S THE FINAL AND WHO WINS:
EHALT: ST. ANTHONY'S OVER NAZARETH: I'll take the two most talented teams in the bracket in the final and then take the team playing the better ball. Nazareth just has not been the same team down the stretch and I think a St. Anthony team that's hot will defeat it.
ABRUZZESE: NAZARETH OVER BISHOP FORD: Nazareth doesn't lack for motivation in this tournament. It always feels like it has a target on its back anyway and this will be a revenge tour of sorts as it felt slighted by both CK and Ford after the death of its head coach Apache Paschall back in January.
YOUR TOURNAMENT PICKS?
EHALT: Nazareth over St. John the Baptist; Ford over Moore Catholic; St. Anthony's over Molloy; Nazareth over Christ the King; St. Anthony's over Bishop Ford.
ABRUZZESE: Nazareth over St. John the Baptist; Ford over Moore; St. Anthony's over Molloy; Nazareth over CK; Ford over St. Anthony's.