- Matt Ehalt, ESPN New York contributor
- 0 Shares
There's a new No. 1 team in New York City. After entering the year as a team that was expected to be good, but a notch below the powerhouses, Cardinal Hayes is the new No. 1. The Cardinals are 15-1 and have yet to lose to a New York City team. Following them are the three Brooklyn PSAL powers that are having fun knocking each other off. Let's look at the poll.
1. Cardinal Hayes (15-1)/(LW: 4): Hayes took down St. Peter's and All Hallows this week and very likely could be undefeated in New York City when it hosts Boys & Girls on Saturday in what will be its toughest game of the season to this point.
2. Lincoln (16-3)/(LW: 1): Lincoln lost to Jefferson this week but stays ahead of them by being a collective 2-1 against Boys & Girls and Jefferson, the best mark of the three teams.
3. Boys & Girls (15-3) /(LW: 2): Boys & Girls went out of state for a tournament and went 2-1. It will face South Shore this Friday in a game with big seeding implications for Brooklyn AA.
4. Jefferson (14-5)/(LW: 6): What a big win for Jefferson. The Orange Wave have been knocking at the door all year but finally picked up that elite win as it went to Lincoln and handed the Railsplitters their first loss in New York City.
5. Christ the King (11-6)/(LW: 3): The Royals have not been as dominant as we expected they would be at this point. They lost to national power Mater Dei and later beat Holy Cross, but ended the week with a loss to Xaverian.
6. Wings (19-2)/(LW: 7): Wings had perhaps its best week of the season as it took down rivals JFK, Eagle Academy and Wadleigh and has firmly established itself as one of the powers in the PSAL.
7. South Shore (14-6)/(LW: 8): South Shore went 3-0 this week with a pair of wins out of state but will have to try to win its first big game in the division when it takes on Boys & Girls on Friday.
8. St. Raymond (9-7)/(LW: 5): St. Raymond is now just 9-7 after losing a game at Stepinac. While injuries have hurt the Ravens, they should be better than 9-7 at this point in the season.
9. Holy Cross (14-3)/(LW: 9): Holy Cross had a tough loss at home against Christ the King but bounced back with a nice win against rival St. Francis Prep. It has a tough week ahead with Loughlin, Molloy and Xaverian.
10. Mount St. Michael (13-3)/(LW: 10): Mount picked up another pair of quality victories as it defeated Xaverian and Stepinac on the road to improve to 13-3.