Would Doan sign in New York?

July, 19, 2012
7/19/12
7:33
PM ET
Shea Weber wasn't sold on the bright lights of the Big Apple. What about coveted free agent Shane Doan?

The 35-year-old winger didn't rule it out.

When asked specifically if he’d consider playing in New York for the Rangers, who are e among the list of interested teams in the 16-year veteran, Doan seemed amenable to the idea. In town for labor talks between the NHL and NHLPA, he even met with the Rangers Friday.

"I've got a few teams that you look at and that you're serious about. That being said, I've also talked with some teams that I didn't think I was, but that kind of made their case," Doan said Thursday outside league offices in midtown Manhattan.

"When it comes down to it, I'll really make my decision. I don't want to put anybody in a situation where you feel like, you know, if you impress me, I'll come," he said. "Until I make my decision, I don't want to force anyone's hand."

Doan has repeatedly stated his desire to return to the Phoenix Coyotes, but is currently monitoring the ownership situation in Glendale before making a decision on whether to stay or sign elsewhere.

Regardless of where he signs, he'd like the situation to be resolved quickly.

"I want to make it as soon as I can," Doan said.

Coming off a 50-point season, Doan said he has received interest from several teams to varying degrees but does not want to mislead any about his first priority: to remain with the same organization for which he has played for the past 16 years.

"I've made no bones about the fact that I want to go back to Phoenix if the situation works out," he said.

Doan acknowledged that the holding pattern he has endured while waiting to see if Greg Jamison's purchase of the team will be completed has handcuffed potential suitors. He said he was grateful for their patience.

"Teams have been great about being patient with me and I appreciate it so much, because I know the fluidity of the market and the way that it moves," Doan said. "The teams have been so kind to my family and understanding the situation we're in. That being said, eventually I have to make a decision, and it'll have to probably be without all the information."

Doan sounded both eager to decide and frustrated about the lack of certainty and information with regards to Phoenix's ownership situation.

Last week, two ballot measures were rejected by the City of Glendale that could impact the $324 lease agreement with Jamison. Doan's agent, Terry Bross, told multiple news outlets that recent communication from Jamison's group has been sparse.

"The hardest thing is that no one really has any idea. It just keeps getting pushed further down the road," he said.
Katie Strang covers the NHL for ESPN.com. She is a graduate of Michigan State University and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
Follow Katie on Twitter »  Chat archive »

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?