The Islanders will play in the newly formed Metropolitan Division in 2013-14 along with the Rangers, Devils, Flyers, Penguins, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets and Capitals. Instead of the usual six divisions, there are now four: Metropolitan, Atlantic, Pacific and Central.
Some highlights from the team's schedule, which was released Friday:
• The Islanders open their season at home against Columbus on Oct. 5.
• The Islanders face the Rangers on Jan. 29 at Yankee Stadium.
• The Islanders play host to the Penguins in a rematch of last season's first-round playoff series on Dec. 3 and Jan. 23.
• The Islanders have a season-high five-game homestand from Feb. 6 to March 2, which overlaps with the 2014 Winter Olympics when all teams will be taking a break. They play a season-high six straight road games from Jan. 7 to Jan. 18.
• The Islanders face everyone in their new division four times, except for the Rangers and Devils, who they’ll play five times each.
• The Islanders close out the regular season in Buffalo on April 13.
Click here for the Islanders' full schedule.