- Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper, in his first mock draft, predicts the Jets will take LSU DE Barkevious Mingo with the ninth overall pick. I don't agree. At 6-foot-5, 242 pounds, Mingo is too small to play defensive end in the Jets' 3-4 scheme. They could always convert him to outside linebacker, a la Vernon Gholston, but that's always risky -- see Gholston.
Kiper's top nine:
1. Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Jaguars: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
3. Raiders: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
4. Eagles: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
5. Lions: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
6. Browns: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
7. Cards: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
8. Bills: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
9. Jets: Mingo
Kiper Analysis: Skill position questions are significant for the Jets, who need help at wide receiver, tight end and probably at running back. But the value might not be there at this spot, and for several years the Jets also have lacked a pass-rusher who scares opposing offenses. Mingo could be that player on the edge in Rex Ryan's scheme, strengthening a defensive line that is going to be very good on the interior as Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples develop into a couple of the best 3-4 defensive ends in the league. Mingo must add polish and play with better leverage, but his ceiling is extremely high and Ryan could do a lot with him.