- Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter
- 0 Shares
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeaways from Wednesday:
1. Winslow a keeper: Free agent TE Kellen Winslow, Jr., attending minicamp on a tryout basis, has done enough to earn a contract. No one is saying he's ... well, Kellen Winslow, Sr. -- or a young Junior, for that matter -- but he's a functional tight end with some receiving skills. That's good enough for this team. Interesting scene: Winslow and QB Matt Simms, sons of football royalty, have side-by-side lockers and chat every day. They could probably tell some stories.
2. Edge, Sanchez: Listening to QBs coach David Lee reaffirmed what I believed (and wrote) after last week's OTAs: Rookie QB Geno Smith, learning an entirely new offense, has a ways to go. Lee called it an even competition, but there's no doubt Mark Sanchez would start if the season started today.
3. Holmes alert: Maybe Santonio Holmes was just being stubborn, which tends to happen when he faces the media, but it sure sounded like he won't be ready for training camp. He described rehab from foot surgery as "learning to walk again." Will he be ready for the regular season? That's the real question. He wasn't too expansive on that topic, either, but the sense is that he'll be ready by Week 1.
4. MartyBall: OC Marty Mornhinweg took a break from his pass-happy approach to concentrate on the running game in practice. They ran out of various formations, including some gimmick runs. It's hard to get a feel for new RB Chris Ivory, a physical runner who should excel once the pads go on.
5. Down Hill: Maybe he's still feeling the effects of knee surgery. Maybe he's thinking too much, struggling with a new offense. Those would be legitimate reasons for Stephen Hill to be dropping so many passes. But this is a no-excuses business, and he's not winning the confidence of the braintrust as the offseason comes to an official close Thursday with the conclusion of minicamp.
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeaways from Wednesday:1. Winslow a keeper: Free agent TE Kellen Winslow, Jr., attending minicamp on a tryout basis, has done enough to earn a contract.