- Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
"I think I am," Cromartie said Wednesday on the NBC Sports Network's "Pro Football Talk" show. "Just because my cap number is very high. And I had one of the worst seasons of my career this past year. I was banged up. I got hurt in Week 2, but that's not an excuse."
Cromartie, entering the final year of a four-year contract, has a prohibitive $14.98 million cap charge for 2014, which includes a $5 million roster bonus. That would be a huge cost for a healthy player coming off a terrific year. Cromartie, who will be 30 before training camp, struggled throughout 2013 and may need hip surgery.
"I just had a bad year," he said. "That falls heavily on me and no one else."
When the season ended, Cromartie told teammates he expects to be released but that he hopes to re-sign with the team, as reported by ESPNNewYork.com. Asked Wednesday if he hopes to play for the Jets, he said: "That's the plan. I'm not guaranteeing it."
Antonio Cromartie finally acknowledged what he had been saying privately since the end of the season: The New York Jets cornerback expects to be a salary-cap casualty this offseason.