- Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
A few thoughts on a wild day (actually, night):
1. Signs of life: Yes, John Idzik has a pulse. After receiving unwarranted criticism for doing nothing on Day 1, the New York Jets' general manager signed two starters for his moribund offense -- wide receiver Eric Decker (pricey, but fairly safe) and right tackle Breno Giacomini (sorry, can't get excited about this move). The Jets also retained a solid backup, re-signing defensive lineman Leger Douzable.
2. Still divorced: The Jets had no desire to reunite with Darrelle Revis, who agreed to a one-year, $12 million deal with the New England Patriots shortly after being released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Jets might have considered Revis at some point in free agency, but it never got to where it became realistic. He was unemployed for less than four hours. So now we can look forward to the big matchup in the fall: Decker versus Revis.
3. McGone: Former Chicago Bears quarterback Josh McCown was scheduled to visit the Jets, but he never made it out of Tampa, signing a two-year, $10 million deal with the Bucs. They immediately named him their starter. The Jets weren't willing to do that. Was it a deal breaker? Probably not. McCown had a previous relationship with Bucs coach Lovie Smith, so they always were considered the front-runner. So now the Jets shift their focus to Michael Vick.
4. Looking ahead: The Jets, in the market for a cornerback, reportedly will visit with Carolina Panthers free agent Captain Munnerlyn. They also have an interest in Green Bay wide receiver James Jones.