Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Minicamp observations: Different look on D
By Rich Cimini
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Thoughts and observations on Day 1 of the Jets' three-day minicamp:
1. I think the 4-3 front will be a bigger part of the defense this season than people expect. Calvin Pace said they've used more 4-3 than in any previous offseason under Rex Ryan. They have the depth up front to use a four-man line, especially with the addition of No. 1 Quinton Coples. That they don't have four healthy, proven linebackers also is a reason they're using so much 4-3.
2. The Jets were so banged up at receiver (no Santonio Holmes, no Stephen Hill) that I expected CB Antonio Cromartie to run a few routes. Hey, he probably could do it.
3. Holmes took a lot of heat last week for pulling himself out of practice. He could've prevented that by simply admitting he had tweaked his hamstring (it sure looked that way). The team also could've saved him from some bashing by announcing the injury. By the way, he looked fine Tuesday running sprints off to the side. Have a feeling he'll be back Wednesday.
4. Speaking of receivers, Chaz Schilens keeps showing up. He keeps this up, and the Braylon Edwards chatter will die.
5. QB Mark Sanchez made some nice throws, especially in the red zone (and especially to TE Dustin Keller), but he got away with a couple of balls that should've been intercepted. It wasn't a great day for Tim Tebow, either. In terms of pure passing, the gap between Tebow and Sanchez is significant.
6. Here it goes again. Ryan talked up G/T Vladimir Ducasse, whom he described as a different player from a year ago. They'd better hope he just didn't get Gholston-ed.
7. Can't wait to hear LaRon Landry's reasoning for skipping the offseason program. He reported to minicamp, thus avoiding a fine, but he declined interview requests. They'll never admit it publicly (can't rip a guy for missing voluntary workouts), but the Jets couldn't have been happy he missed so much time. When Ryan was asked to give an injury update, he reacted as if he'd been asked to explain the theory of relativity. It's hard to give out info on a player when you haven't seen him in two months.