Friday, August 31, 2012
Three up, three down
By Rich Cimini
PHILADELPHIA -- A look at positives and negatives from the Jets' 28-10 loss to the Eagles:
Greg McElroy was 12-for-17 for 90 yards and a TD.
1. Greg McElroy. He was surrounded by chaos, backups at almost every position on the field, but the second-year quarterback never lost his poise. He showed good command of Tony Sparano's offense, never appearing rattled even though he was running for his life at times. He led the offense to 164 yards and 11 first downs in the first half. In short, he looked like he belonged. Backup QB controversy, anyone?
2. Nick Folk. The man made a 58-yard field goal. That's impressive whether it's in the preseason or the regular season. Rex Ryan called it the highlight of the night. Truth be told, it might have been the highlight of the preseason.
3. The End. The best moment of the Jets' summer occurred at 9:38 p.m. -- when the preseason came to a merciful end.
1. The pass defense. The starters didn't play, so there's no reason to panic, but the second- and third-teamers left a lot to be desired. They made third-string QB Trent Edwards look like Michael Vick. Edwards, whom the Jets tried to claim on waivers last year, competed 22 of 32 for 197 yards and two touchdowns. He also showed surprising mobility, running four times for 36 yards.
2. John Conner. On a third-and-1 in the third quarter, the Jets sent in their big back to pick up the conversion -- but he was stuffed. It was the third time he was stuffed in short yardage this preseason. In fairness to Conner, he didn't play in the first half and came in cold.
3. Demario Davis. Remember when Ryan compared Davis' leadership skills to Ray Lewis? That was back in April during the draft, and it made for a headline, of course. Davis finished a quiet training camp with another quiet performance. He started and played most of the game, but he was credited with only one tackle. Early in the game, he missed a couple of tackles, plays in which he was fooled badly. He has a ways to go. It would be a surprise if he contributes early in the season in the sub packages.