Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Smith to KC, one less QB on market
By Rich Cimini
The Jets never showed interest in former 49ers QB Alex Smith, who reportedly was traded to the Chiefs, but it impacts them because there's one less quarterback on the market.
So who's left? The pickings are slim. Smith was the most accomplished quarterback available, which isn't saying much. He would've been an upgrade over Mark Sanchez, but enough to justify his $8.5 million salary? No way.
The Jets' search continues. This isn't a good time to be in the quarterback market, as there are no sure-fire answers in the draft and free agency. Let's take an inventory:
TOP FREE AGENTS
• Brady Quinn, Chiefs: Jets expressed interest in him last March.
• Matt Moore, Dolphins: Steady game manager. A hold-the-fort player.
• Jason Campbell, Bears: Hasn't played much the last two years, but he has talent.
AVAILABLE BY TRADE
• Matt Flynn, Seahawks: John Idzik connection, knows West Coast offense.
• Nick Foles, Eagles: New OC Marty Mornhinweg knows him well from Philly.
• Matt Cassel, Chiefs: Ugh.
• Kevin Kolb, Cards: Another Mornhinweg protégé; could be cut before March 15 if he doesn't re-work his contract. Pay close attention, Jets fans, this could be the guy.