Thursday, March 28, 2013
McShay's 4.0 mock draft: Mingo
By Rich Cimini
Say this for ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay: He's consistent.
In his latest mock draft, the 4.0 version, McShay predicts the Jets will select LSU OLB Barkevious Mingo with the ninth overall pick -- same as McShay's 3.0 mock.
In the second round, he has the Jets selecting SMU DE Margus Hunt, whom Rex Ryan worked out personally Wednesday during the SMU pro day.
Here's the McShay top nine:
1. Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Jaguars: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
3. Raiders: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
4. Eagles: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
5. Lions: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
6. Browns: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
7. Cards: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
8. Bills: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
9. Jets: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
McShay's take: Mingo's ideal fit is at right end in a 4-3 system, where he can put his hand in the dirt and explode upfield after the quarterback. However, the Jets need an edge rusher more than anything, and that's what Mingo does best. He is also capable of dropping into coverage when asked, and I believe people will be pleasantly surprised by his pass-rush production in the NFL compared to what he did in 2012 at LSU.