Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Jets wake-up call: Day 28
By Rich Cimini
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- On Wednesday, the New York Jets will wrap up their mini-training camp in Florham Park. The final open practice begins at 11 a.m. ET. Story lines we'll be following:
- Rookie wide receiver Jalen Saunders, he of the mysterious, one-car accident last Friday, is expected to address the media. The Jets have said very little about the so-called "medical event" that apparently caused his accident. But as Rex Ryan said, "You'll hear it from the horse's mouth." Saunders is out indefintely.
- The quarterbacks, Geno Smith and Michael Vick, are scheduled to speak with reporters. Maybe they can talk about playing Friday night for the coveted Snoopy Trophy. Until Smith is officially named the starting quarterback, there isn't much else to ask them about.
- On the injury front, the players to watch are cornerback Dimitri Patterson (leg) and tight end Jeff Cumberland (Achilles' tendon). Cumberland did some positional work Tuesday after sitting for more than a week, so that's progress. Patterson is further ahead than Cumberland and he could play against the New York Giants.
- Rookie cornerback Dexter McDougle is scheduled to have surgery to repair a torn ACL.
- The battle at wide receiver is heating up. Veterans David Nelson and Greg Salas have stepped up nicely, as have Jacoby Ford and Clyde Gates. Tough roster decisions are ahead.