New York Jets: 2014 NFL Preseason Week 5 NYJ at PHI Observation Deck
August, 28, 2014
By Kieran Darcy | ESPNNewYork.com
PHILADELPHIA -- The New York Jets held out almost all of their starters, and even many of their backups, in their fourth and final preseason game Thursday at Lincoln Financial Field. The Jets lost to the Philadelphia Eagles, 37-7, in what essentially served as a final audition for the last few spots on the teams' 53-man rosters. (The Eagles sat their starters and backup quarterback Mark Sanchez, the former Jet, as well.)
A few takeaways from the game regarding the Jets:
- Michael Vick started at quarterback, but it was only a cameo appearance. After serving as the team's lone game-day captain, Vick handed the ball off on the Jets' first offensive play and his night was over. Coach Rex Ryan immediately called a timeout, and third-string quarterback Matt Simms came trotting onto the field. The half-full stadium cheered the ex-Eagle as he exited, and Vick lifted his visor off his head to thank them -- a nice moment.
- Former second-round pick Stephen Hill, with his job possibly on the line, was not particularly impressive -- targeted twice, with one catch for 13 yards and one drop. It was a bad drop, but fellow wideouts Greg Salas and Clyde Gates each had a drop as well. Hill and Salas were both taken out before the end of the first half -- apparently Ryan and company had seen enough to make a final decision on those two. (Salas had one catch for eight yards.) The Jets' best passing play of the first half was a 50-yard catch and run by fourth-string tight end Chris Pantale. Gates caught a 42-yard touchdown pass from fourth-string QB Tajh Boyd in the second half for the Jets' lone score.
- The only starters who played for the Jets, according to the team's depth chart, were guard Brian Winters and fullback Tommy Bohanon. Winters and Oday Aboushi have been competing for the starting job at left guard, and both started against the Eagles: Winters at left guard, Aboushi at right guard. Aboushi committed two penalties in the first half, a 10-yarder for illegal use of hands and another 10-yarder for holding. Advantage, Winters.
- With the Jets sitting Dee Milliner (ankle), Dimitri Patterson (suspension) and Antonio Allen (concussion), and holding out Kyle Wilson and Darrin Walls as well, the starting cornerbacks were Ellis Lankster and LeQuan Lewis -- and it didn't go very well. Lewis made an interception in the end zone in the first quarter, but also was toasted on a 43-yard touchdown by Arrelious Benn and gave up a 32-yard reception to Jeff Maehl. Lankster was flagged twice for defensive holding.
- Linebacker Nick Bellore (calf), safety Josh Bush (leg) and cornerback Johnny Patrick (head) suffered injuries and did not return to the game. Bellore is a major contributor on special teams, and the Jets' secondary lost two more members.