The Melo M7 Garden playoff debut
April, 21, 2011
By Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com
Courtesy of Jordan Brand
Carmelo Anthony will be making his MSG playoff debut tomorrow night wearing his new "Welcome to New York" kicks.
In Game 1, Carmelo Anthony was the only Knick to rock a new playoff-edition sneaker. In fact, he broke out his first Knicks’ away model, a royal/black version of his Jordan Brand signature shoe, the Melo M7.
Tomorrow night, Melo will unveil his first Knicks' home model for his Madison Square Garden playoff debut. Both models are classified under the Jordan Melo M7 Advance "Welcome to New York" series.
The M7 Advance was created by Jordan Brand footwear designer Justin Taylor, who also managed the creative process of the Melo M6 and regular Melo M7. The M7 Advance features Flywire construction, a first for Jordan Brand, which is a thread developed by Nike and composed of Vectran fiber that is used in the upper of the shoe to minimize weight and maximize support. The Flywire cuts a full ounce out of Melo's size 15 sneaker.
As for cushioning, the M7 Advance has a Phylon midsole, heel Max Air and forefoot Zoom Air. The traction pattern reads "Melo," which is also stitched to the tongue. It will be available starting on June 1 for $130 at Nike and House of Hoop stores, as well as select New York City-based retailers.
Melo's top five playoff performances in reverse chronological order (1-4 record):
- April 19, 2011 -- 42 points, 17 rebounds and six assists in a 96-93 loss to the Celtics in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference first round
- April 25, 2010 -- 39 points, 11 rebounds and five assists in a 117-106 loss to the Jazz in the Western Conference First Round
- April 17, 2010 -- 42 points, five assists and four rebounds in a 126-113 win over the Jazz in the Western Conference First Round
- May 19, 2009 -- 39 points, six rebounds and four assists in a 105-103 loss to the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals
- May 11, 2009 -- 41 points, 11 rebounds and five steals in a 119-117 loss to the Mavericks in the Western Conference Semifinals
It's interesting to note that two of the losses, both in 2009, were only by two points. When Anthony had his big game Tuesday night, the Knicks fell short by three. After practice today, he said he's prepared to "do it all to try to win" Game 3 if Amare Stoudemire (pulled back muscle) and Chauncey Billups (left knee strain) are both out tomorrow. Let's hope at least STAT is back so Melo doesn't need to go all out once again, because that hasn't worked out for the better in the past.
Speaking of the playoffs, New Era, in affiliation with Marvel Comics, is releasing caps to commemorate six NBA teams currently in contention for the chip. New York’s hat has the iconic Knicks logo with Spider-Man on the brim. It is available at New Era flagship stores, sporting goods retailers, NBA arenas and online at neweracap.com.
You can follow Jared Zwerling on Twitter.