The Mets will hold a workout at Citi Field on Thursday afternoon in advance of the weekend series against the Phillies to open the second half.
This will be Terry Collins' first opportunity (in person) to convince the Mets players that Tuesday night’s trade of Francisco Rodriguez did not indicate that management has given up on the season.
Collins will also clarify which member of his bullpen (Bobby Parnell, Jason Isringhausen or, less likely, Pedro Beato) will fill in at closer.
Thursday's news reports:
• Sandy Alderson says that the Rodriguez trade does not signify a team-wide fire sale. He essentially explained on a conference call with reporters Wednesday that the deal was a salary dump and was independent of any other deals the team makes. He hesitated to speculate how this would affect the team's pursuit of Jose Reyes and acknowledged that teams have shown interest in Carlos Beltran.
• New York Times reporter David Waldstein writes that K-Rod's former agent, Paul Kinzer, never submitted a "no-trade" list for Rodriguez. Waldstein reports that, with the list never filed, Alderson wanted to get a deal done before Scott Boras, Rodriguez's new agent, could complicate the proceedings.
Read more here.
• Injured players such as David Wright, Ike Davis and Johan Santana may return soon but how long will the roster remain intact? Adam Rubin expands on that that issue here. Post columnist Kevin Kernan believes that the K-Rod trade signifies a waving of the white flag.
• Our Mark Simon offers a breakdown of Parnell, who may get the Mets closer job with K-Rod out of town.
• Alderson said confirmed that Wright is expected to play his first rehab game on Friday night for Class A St. Lucie at Lakeland, and if everything goes according to plan, Alderson hopes Wright will be back playing for the Mets on July 22. But he said Ike Davis is a ways away.
• Ryota Igarashi will likely replace K-Rod on the roster.
BIRTHDAY: Former Met (and Yankee) Robin Ventura, who hit the famous grand slam single in Game 5 of the 1999 NLCS, turns 44 Thursday.