Pregame notes: Duda in RF, Reyes running
August, 15, 2011
By Adam Rubin and Forrest Lee | ESPNNewYork.com
“He’s starting to open up a little bit and I think it’s because he realizes he belongs here,” Collins said.
• Sandy Alderson and deputies Paul DePodesta and John Ricco are huddled at the team hotel in San Diego trying to complete negotiations with first-round pick Brandon Nimmo, a high school outfielder from Wyoming, as well as other unsigned picks. The Mets have expressed strong confidence Nimmo, who could command $2 million or more, will be signed by the midnight ET deadline.
• Chris Young visited the Mets for the first time since undergoing surgery to repair the torn anterior capsule in his right shoulder, the same procedure Johan Santana underwent on his left shoulder last Sept. 14. Young hopes to begin tossing a baseball in October. Given the difficult recovery from this surgery, Young's ability to pitch in 2012 would logically be in question. He is a free-agent-to-be.
• Jose Reyes took grounders and hit in a cage on Sunday and was expected to repeat that activity Monday. Running on his strained left hamstring is expected to wait until the Mets return next weekend to Citi Field to face the Milwaukee Brewers.
• Santana has returned to Port St. Lucie and is expected to resume tossing a baseball shortly. Santana has gone two weeks without throwing since he experienced discomfort long tossing, which came three days after his lone minor league rehab appearance.
• Manny Acosta, who lost part of the fingernail on his right pinkie, experienced discomfort when he was pressed back into action in Arizona, he told the Daily News. "That's why I couldn't throw strikes," Acosta said. If the Mets do place Acosta on the DL, Dale Thayer and John Lujan are performing best at Triple-A Buffalo. And Josh Stinson, an expected September call-up from Double-A Binghamton, already is on the 40-man roster.