- Adam Rubin, ESPNNewYork.com
- 0 Shares
New York Mets
A representative from Wilson Sporting Goods arrived at the Mets' spring-training complex Sunday, and Justin Turner picked out a first-base glove of his own.
Looking at the size compared to his second baseman's glove, Turner said: "I feel like a softball catcher."
Turner proceeded to quiz Valentino Pascucci about first-base gloves. The model Turner picked out is "double-hinged," meaning it has folds in two spots at the base of the palm when the glove is squeezed. Pascucci uses one hinge.
Terry Collins has anointed Turner as the backup to Ike Davis at first base, although Turner has played only one professional game there, in 2007 in Class A with Cincinnati.
• The Mets will wear the "KID 8" patch remembering Gary Carter from the March 5 Grapefruit League opener through the regular season.
• Mike Nickeas granted permission to Ronny Cedeno to take No. 13. Nickeas switched to No. 4, which his father Mark wore while playing professional soccer for the Vancouver Whitecaps in the North American Soccer League. Josh Thole kidded Nickeas that he should have asked for a Rolex as compensation. Nickeas did not ask for anything, although a modest token of thanks is probably on the way.
• Johan Santana is scheduled to throw a late-morning bullpen session.
• R.A. Dickey, Pedro Beato, Josh Stinson, Robert Carson, Chris Schwinden, D.J. Carrasco, Fernando Cabrera and Armando Rodriguez are scheduled to throw batting practice today to hitters that include Lucas Duda, Zach Lutz, Mike Baxter and Matt den Dekker.
Justin Turner #2 2BNew York Mets 2011 STATS GM117 HR4 RBI51 R49 OBP.334 AVG.260 A representative from Wilson Sporting Goods arrived at the Mets' spring-training complex Sunday, and Justin Turner picked out a first-base glove of his own.