Wright rib-cage issue
March, 4, 2012
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
Wright said Terry Collins pulled the third baseman in the manager's office once Wright arrived Sunday morning and informed him he will be held out at least through Tuesday. The Mets are treating Wright's issue more conservatively in part because of Scott Hairston straining an oblique muscle in Saturday's intrasquad game.
"I feel good. I feel better, obviously, than when I did it earlier this week," Wright maintained. "As I mentioned yesterday, I've been going through all the workouts, going at full speed. I think if this was April whatever, Opening Day, I'd be playing -- 100 percent.
"In light of Scottie yesterday, I think it opened up my eyes -- I think, obviously, Terry and the training staff. You hate to see a guy go down, but it would be a lot worse if two guys go down. I think I can play. But it was taken out of my hands. Terry made it very simple for me. He told me I was not playing, at least tomorrow and Tuesday, I believe. We'll go from there. There is 100 percent, no doubt in my mind, if it was April 5, then I'd be in the lineup. And probably if it were up to me I'd be in the lineup. ...
"I think it's kind of the perfect storm as far as what happened to Scottie yesterday. I think it's the correct decision. No question. I think sometimes I can be hard-headed and stubborn. The medical staff, they might take it slow -- and too slow for my liking. At the end, it's usually pretty good for you. I've tried to battle them as much as I could these last couple of days. With what happened with Scottie, I think they made it very clear, and Terry made it very clear, that they're going to be the one running the show."