- Adam Rubin, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Johan Santana is good to go for Tuesday's home split-squad game against the St. Louis Cardinals, Terry Collins said Monday afternoon.
Santana is scheduled to pitch two innings and no more than 35 pitches, according to pitching coach Dan Warthen.
"I'm really excited to see him out there," Collins said. "Obviously two days after tomorrow is when I want to really see how he's doing, because that will be a test on how he's going to bounce back. I just said to him the other day, 'Look, all I want you to do is approach this like you've been approaching your side [bullpen session]s.' He's going to have his adrenaline flowing and we've got to realize that. And I certainly will. But he's smart enough to know that it's all a process."
As for Santana facing the Cardinals, Collins added: "I don't care about the results. All I want him to do is come back in two days, throw a side and be ready for his next start. If we've got that, we're going to be fine."
• 2011 first-round pick Brandon Nimmo will play in Tuesday's home split-squad game. "I like to play those guys," Collins said. "I want those minor league players, when they walk out of this camp, to walk back over there and say, 'That was fun. That was really fun. How do I get back over there to stay?'"
• Collins went and saw top prospect Zack Wheeler, who is in minor league camp, throw on the minor league side. Asked what he liked, Collins whistled and said: "Everything."
• 2010 first-round pick Matt Harvey is the first pitcher due in after starter Dillon Gee tonight. Collins said he is looking for command. "If he throws the ball over the plate," the manager said, "he'll get people out. He's got that kind of stuff."
• Ike Davis is slated for three innings at first base tonight, and three more tomorrow, Collins said.
• Collins said he is not very concerned about seeing how his starters look together tonight, such as Ruben Tejada and Daniel Murphy working as a tag team in the middle infield.
"Not tonight," Collins said. "It's our first game. I think it's nice to have the fans see who we've got. Obviously David [Wright] is not going to be in the lineup, but Jason [Bay] is and Ike is and [Lucas] Duda and everybody else. And Justin Turner had as big a part last year in us playing well as anybody. So I feel real comfortable with him in there."
11hESPN Stats & Information