Thole to be 1st to return from DL
May, 29, 2012
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
Thole caught seven innings in an extended spring training game in Port St. Lucie, Fla., Tuesday. He is due to DH for Triple-A Buffalo on Wednesday and catch Chris Young's start with the Bisons on Thursday morning before returning to the Mets for the series opener against St. Louis the following day.
• Ruben Tejada was examined by team doctors in Manhattan on Tuesday. The visit was decided upon before the weekend, when Tejada experienced tenderness in his injured quadriceps while trying to run, Alderson said. Tejada, at Citi Field on Tuesday afternoon, told Terry Collins he felt "great," but the manager noted "that was from Ruben" and potentially hyperbole.
• Justin Turner was still being examined Tuesday afternoon, but Alderson confirmed the now-DL'd player's injury is limited to his right ankle and the only question is the severity.
• Omar Quintanilla will start at shortstop Tuesday and likely Wednesday. After Thursday's team off-day, Collins expects Ronny Cedeño (calf) will be ready to play. Cedeño would be the everyday shortstop when ready, according to the manager.
Collins said Triple-A manager Wally Backman raved about Quintanilla as a complete player -- including being an accurate thrower and having great hands. Backman told Collins when they spoke Monday night that Quintanilla would be ideal to use late in games at second base, too, because he is solid there as well.
• Jason Bay remains limited to DHing at the team's Florida complex as he returns from a fractured rib. Collins said Bay is not experiencing any health difficulty. But team officials are how cognizant of how hard Bay plays in the outfield, including diving and running into walls. And they don't want to prematurely have him play the field and risk doing damage to the mending rib.
• Young, who is returning from May 16, 2011 surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule in his right shoulder, likely will make more than one start with Triple-A Buffalo, Alderson said.
- There are no games scheduled for today.