- Adam Rubin, ESPNNewYork.com
- 0 Shares
New York Mets
Despite homering and picking up his first major league win Tuesday, Jeremy Hefner may not get another chance to start.
Terry Collins said he will not decide Monday's starter against the Cardinals at Citi Field until at least the weekend. A team source said it was correct to interpret that comment as an indication Miguel Batista is likely the preference rather than Hefner, assuming Batista has a successful rehab start tonight with Double-A Binghamton.
Batista was forced to depart a May 19 start at Toronto after two innings with an oblique/lower-back strain. He is eligible to return from the disabled list Monday, which coincides with when Hefner's next turn otherwise would occur.
• Josh Thole is DHing and batting second for Triple-A Buffalo tonight. Sandy Alderson said he expected Thole would be activated Friday. Collins was less sure that would be the precise date, noting the Mets need to be assured Thole looks sharp at the plate before being activated. Collins insisted he had not been involved in any internal debate yet about whether Mike Nickeas or Rob Johnson might be demoted when Thole is activated.
• Jason Bay's rehab tour from a fractured rib could take him to Buffalo this weekend.
• Phillies ace Roy Halladay (shoulder) sought a second opinion from Mets doctor David Altchek.
• An hour before Wednesday's game, the Mets officially placed Ronny Cedeño on the DL with a left calf strain and promoted Jordany Valdespin.
Miguel Batista#47 RPNew York Mets2012 STATS GM13W1 L1BB17K19ERA3.95 Despite homering and picking up his first major league win Tuesday, Jeremy Hefner may not get another chance to start.