Ex-GM Duquette to donate kidney
May, 30, 2012
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
Will Kirk/Associated PressFormer Mets GM Jim Duquette will donate a kidney to his daughter Lindsey, the NephCure Foundation announced.
Lindsey, now 10, has been dealing with a rare kidney disease known as FSGS since shortly after her birth, when Duquette served as Mets GM. He has been active in trying to raise awareness and funding for research. Lindsey has been on dialysis for the past year.
The NephCure Foundation provides this write-up about FSGS and Nephrotic Syndrome:
• There is no cure or approved treatments for these diseases. Doctors also don't know what causes the diseases.
• Transplants fail up to 70 percent of the time, as it is unclear if the kidneys fail because of the kidney or a circulating factor in the blood that triggers the diseases.
• FSGS is a leading cause of kidney failure in children.
• Over 8,000 people are diagnosed with FSGS and Nephrotic Syndrome each year.
• FSGS is five times more prevalent among African-Americans.
• NBA stars Alonzo Mourning and Sean Elliott each required transplants due to FSGS.
• Former Met Ed Hearn also suffers from FSGS, he has had three transplants and still suffers from the disease.
Final Milwaukee 94 New York 115 Final Brooklyn 94 Washington 101
Final Buffalo 1 NY Islanders 4 Final New Jersey 0 Tampa Bay 3
Final R H E Yankees 1 6 0 Orioles 2 5 0 Final R H E Marlins 5 7 0 Yankees 0 0 1 Final R H E Twins 3 9 1 Mets 3 9 0 Final R H E Mets 9 11 0 Cubs 4 7 1
7:30 PM ET NY Rangers Ottawa 7:00 PM ET Minnesota NY Islanders 7:00 PM ET Boston New Jersey
8:00 PM ET Indiana New York 7:30 PM ET Charlotte Brooklyn