SAN DIEGO -- Terry Collins said Johan Santana should throw about 45 pitches in today's rehab start with the Brooklyn Cyclones, then another 40 to 45 pitches on a bullpen mound.
New York Mets
That should help ensure Santana is capable of going roughly 90 pitches when he is activated from the DL and reenters the rotation Saturday against the Braves.
• Collins already is expressing hope Ruben Tejada will arrive at spring training early next year, so that he can work to improve his base-stealing capability with coach Tom Goodwin.
Tejada spent last offseason in Panama and reported to spring training on time, but not early. Tejada said he will comply with Collins' wishes. Tejada said he plans to spend two months after the season training at the Garden City, Long Island, facility that Jose Reyes and Pedro Beato have used. He also plans to arrive in Port St. Lucie, Fla., early for spring training, after spending Christmastime in his native Panama.
• Zack Wheeler's Triple-A debut is being delayed by rain in Buffalo.
• Correction: The Mets amended a note from Saturday. Mike Baxter's five walks were the most in the majors in a nine-inning game since Mark Teixeira with the Yankees against Boston on April 23, 2009.
• Collins said he paired Matt Harvey with Rob Johnson to ensure the rookie is "comfortable."
• Asked about Jason Bay's playing time going forward, Collins said the decision would be based on the entire trip. That may not bode well for Bay, who is in the lineup Sunday but 2-for-29 through 10 games of this three-city excursion.
• Collins said he would not mind seeing a second lefty promoted for bullpen duty for next weekend's Braves series. Robert Carson has allowed two runs (one earned) in 7 1/3 innings in five appearances since a promotion to Triple-A.