Demoting Ike Davis didn't help.
In the Mets' first game since sending their first baseman to Triple-A Las Vegas, they were bludgeoned by the Cardinals, 9-2, at Citi Field on Tuesday night. Daniel Murphy, who took over at first, had an error in St. Louis' five-run fifth inning that broke open the game.
Wednesday's news reports
• Murphy played first base on Tuesday night to allow Jordany Valdespin to play his most comfortable position of second base. Manager Terry Collins had no regrets of playing Murphy at first despite his error. Read more in the Star-Ledger, Wall Street Journal and Post.
• David Wright and Robinson Cano will captain the squads in the Home Run Derby. Read more in the Star-Ledger and < a href="http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/all-star-game/david-wright-robinson-cano-named-home-run-derby-captains-1.5460744">Newsday.
• Collins said Tuesday that this is the toughest challenge he's faced as the Mets manager.
• Davis' father, Ron, is going to Las Vegas to help his son.
• David Lennon writes in Newsday that the Mets are running into problems when they should be improving.
• From the bloggers .... Rising Apple examines whether Wally Backman should be the next Mets manager. ... Mets Report analyzes Sandy Alderson's interview on Monday. ... Mets Police isn't a fan of the All-Star game caps and jerseys. ...Blogging Mets examines whether Don Draper insulted the Mets on Mad Men.
BIRTHDAYS: Former Mets outfielder Damon Buford turns 43.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
New York, New York: David Wright and @robinsoncano named NL and AL captains, respectively, for the 2013 #HRDerby. twitter.com/MLB/status/344…
— MLB (@MLB) June 11, 2013
YOU'RE UP: What did you think of Murphy's play at first base on Tuesday?