The Mets face left-handers Ross Detwiler and Gio Gonzalez during a weekend series at Citi Field.METS (32-43, fourth place/NL East) vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS (39-39, second place/NL East)
Saturday: RHP Dillon Gee (5-7, 4.82) vs. RHP Taylor Jordan (9-1, 1.00 at Class A Potomac/Double-A Harrisburg), 1:10 p.m. ET
Nationals short hops
• Taylor Jordan is due to make his major league debut against the Mets on Saturday. Jordan, 24, is a ninth-round pick in 2009 who hails from Merritt Island, Fla.
After beginning the season in Class A, he posted a 7-0 record and 0.83 ERA in nine appearances (eight starts) with Double-A Harrisburg. In 54 innings, he allowed 37 hits and nine walks while striking out 43. He tossed four scoreless innings in his Eastern League debut against the B-Mets on May 12.Greg Fiume/Getty Images
Second baseman Anthony Rendon is hitting .367 in June.
Jordan should be on a conservative innings limit this season. He pitched only 54 1/3 innings in 2012 after recovering from Tommy John surgery. He takes the rotation spot of Dan Haren, who landed on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation.
• Bryce Harper is expected to return from the disabled list Monday, after the weekend series in Queens. He has been sidelined since May 27 with bursitis in his left knee.
• Rookie Anthony Rendon, who returned to the majors during a Mets series at the beginning of June, is on a tear. He is hitting .367 in 19 games since the promotion, which coincided with him transitioning to second base.
With 35 hits in his first 100 career at-bats, Rendon equaled the franchise record for most hits in that span. He shares that mark with Coco Laboy, who went 35-for-his-first-100 during the Montreal Expos’ inaugural season, in 1969.
Incumbent second baseman Danny Espinosa, who was optioned to Triple-A Syracuse on June 19 after completing a rehab assignment for a fractured right wrist, is hitting .106 (5-for-47) with 29 strikeouts in the International League.
• Top catcher Wilson Ramos may return to the Nats in a week. He has been absent since tweaking an already strained left hamstring on May 15.
• In his most recent outing, Gio Gonzalez earned his first win since May 5. He had posted a 2.18 ERA during an eight-start winless stretch, during which he had seven no-decisions.
• Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman recently dealt with discomfort in his surgically repaired shoulder and sat Tuesday, even after a team off-day. After gutting through last season with a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder with the aid of cortisone shots, Zimmerman had the shoulder surgically repaired during the offseason. Zimmerman has experienced significant throwing woes, but the rate has slowed after he committed eight errors in his first 27 games this season.
• Ross Detwiler has a 1.48 WHIP, which would rank sixth-worst in the NL if he had enough innings to qualify.
• Shortstop Ian Desmond has 59 straight error-free games. His last error: April 21 at Citi Field.
• Rafael Soriano has converted nine straight save chances. His 21 saves rank third in the NL, tied with St. Louis Edward Mujica and trailing Pittsburgh’s Jason Grilli (26) and Atlanta’s Craig Kimbrel (22).