Morning briefing: Ike gets the big hit
July, 24, 2013
By Matt Ehalt | ESPNNewYork.com
John Munson/The Star-Ledger/USA TODAY SportsIke Davis' RBI double put the Mets ahead Tuesday night.FIRST PITCH: The Mets rebounded from a brutal loss to the Braves on Monday by defeating Atlanta 4-1 on Tuesday night at Citi Field. Ike Davis had the go-ahead RBI.
The Mets will look to make it two in a row when Jeremy Hefner faces Tim Hudson on Wednesday night. Hefner lasted just two innings in his first start coming out of the All-Star break.
Wednesday's news reports:
• Read game recaps in the Daily News, Post, Star-Ledger, The Record, New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Newsday.
• Davis' RBI double put the Mets ahead, but he also failed to lay down a bunt. Read more in the Post and Star-Ledger.
• Carlos Torres recorded the win Tuesday. He has pitched well since sliding into the rotation due to Jon Niese's injury.
• Zack Wheeler will start Thursday while Jenrry Mejia will start one of the doubleheader games in Washington on Friday. Read more in the Daily News, Post, Star-Ledger, The Record, Wall Street Journal and Newsday.
• Terry Collins wants to see more improvement from Ruben Tejada before the Mets recall him from Triple-A Las Vegas.
• Mets minor leaguer Alex Machillanda Romero was arrested Sunday on charges of felony shoplifting, resisting a merchant, battery and resisting an officer without violence. He plays for the GCL Mets.
• Shaun Marcum was placed on waivers with the intention to be released. Marcum signed a one-year deal in the offseason and went 1-10 with a 5.29 ERA. Read more in the Star-Ledger and Newsday.
• The Mets have to decide whether to trade right fielder Marlon Byrd and closer Bobby Parnell.
• In the Post, Larry Brooks writes that Parnell should be part of the Mets' future and not trade bait.
• Collins said baseball needs to move on following Ryan Braun's suspension.
BIRTHDAYS: Baseball's career and single-season home run leader Barry Bonds turns 49 today.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
YOU'RE UP: What has impressed you the most about Torres' performance thus far?
Los Mets Night tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/FQO6en4JCV— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) July 24, 2013