Mini-Series preview: Mets at Twins
August, 19, 2013
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
USA TODAY SportsDillon Gee faces Kyle Gibson in a makeup game Monday at Target Field.
Monday: RHP Dillon Gee (8-8, 3.79) vs. RHP Kyle Gibson (2-3, 6.27), 2:10 p.m. ET
Twins short hops
• Rookie Kyle Gibson, the 22nd overall pick in the 2009 draft, makes his 10th major league start. (The Mets forfeited their first-round pick, 24th overall, to the Los Angeles Angels that year after signing Francisco Rodriguez the previous offseason. Mike Trout went 25th overall, also to the Angels.)
Gibson underwent Tommy John surgery on Sept. 7, 2011. He was a potential top-10 pick out of the University of Missouri, but dropped after suffering a stress fracture in his right forearm his junior year.
• First baseman Justin Morneau reportedly cleared waivers, making him eligible to be traded in August and eligible for another team’s postseason roster. The free-agent-to-be Morneau is making $14 million in 2013, in the final season of a six-year, $80 million deal. He has six homers in August.
• Catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit returned from the disabled list Friday after missing eight games with a concussion. He had been struck with a foul ball in the facemask, then experienced nausea three days later while trying to play through the head injury.
• Outfielder/DH Josh Willingham (.222, 12 HR, 42 RBIs) returned from the DL on Aug. 9 after undergoing left knee surgery. He missed 33 games.
• Joe Mauer went 5-for-7 with a homer and four RBIs on Wednesday against the Cleveland Indians. Mauer’s .322 average ranks fifth in the American League.
• Third baseman Trevor Plouffe is hitting .154 (8-for-52) with three RBIs in 14 starts in August.
• Minnesota is batting .167 with runners in scoring position during its past 11 games. The Twins were 2-for-18 in those situations in a 5-2 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Sunday.
• Monday's makeup game originally was scheduled for April 14, but was called because of freezing rain.
Final/2OT New York 107 Milwaukee 101 Final Washington 113 Brooklyn 107
7:00 PM ET Anaheim NY Islanders 7:00 PM ET New Jersey Washington
5:00 PM ET E Washington Seton Hall 2:00 PM ET Army Rutgers 4:05 PM ET Iona Nevada 2:00 PM ET St. Peter's Hartford 6:00 PM ET Cornell Stony Brook