FIRST PITCH: The Mets conclude a three-city trip by facing the best home team in the majors … the Miami Marlins?
Monday’s news reports:
• Dillon Gee tossed six scoreless innings and the Mets salvaged the finale of a four-game series at Coors Field with a 5-1 win against the Rockies on Sunday. Outfielders Juan Lagares, Curtis Granderson and Chris Young combined to hit .404 (21-for-52) in the series. Granderson produced five RBIs against the Rockies; he had only four RBIs in his previous 20 games. Lagares extended his hitting streak to 13 games Sunday.
• Eric Young Jr. ended up at the hospital for X-rays and a CT scan after a ball hit in a batting cage pregame by Lucas Duda ricocheted off a screen and struck E.Y. Jr. below the right eye. The outfielder, scratched from the game, had a bruise and headache but no fracture and is day-to-day. Read more in Newsday and at MLB.com.
• Terry Collins says the Mets plan for Jenrry Mejia to start Friday against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citi Field. The manager added that bullpen work is “always in the conversation” regarding Mejia’s future. Read more in the Post, Daily News and Star-Ledger.
• Mookie Wilson tells Brian Lewis in the Post it is possible the Mets can win 90 games this season. “If, all things being equal, guys stay healthy, we have a chance,” Wilson said.
• Matt Koch and Seth Lugo combined on the shutout as St. Lucie beat Charlotte, 5-0. 2012 first-round pick Gavin Cecchini departed after seven innings in Savannah’s 7-3 loss to Rome, although the reason was not immediately clear. Read the full minor-league recap here.
• From the bloggers ... Faith and Fear finds that as a starter, Dillon Gee knows how to relieve stress. ... Blogging Mets points out that the Mets made a return appearance on Sunday's episode of "Mad Men."
BIRTHDAYS: Juan Acevedo turns 44.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
@AdamRubinESPN these guys seem to be about the right age for the Mets to give them another shot
— Todd Chambers (@tchambers31) May 4, 2014
YOU’RE UP: If the Mets had to win one game, would you want Dillon Gee or another member of the rotation on the mound?