- Adam Rubin, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Jonathan Lucroy had a two-homer game Tuesday against Cincinnati, including a walk-off shot.METS (48-53, third place/NL East) vs. MILWAUKEE BREWERS (57-45, first place/NL Central)
Brewers short hops
• Matt Garza aims to rebound after having the shortest start of his career Saturday at Washington. Garza recorded only one out while surrendering five earned runs on five hits and two walks.
• All-Star third baseman Aramis Ramirez played in his 2,000th career game Wednesday. Ramirez, 36, became the 14th active player to reach that milestone, joining Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu, Adrian Beltre, Paul Konerko, Jason Giambi, Torii Hunter, Ichiro Suzuki, Raul Ibanez, Carlos Beltran, David Ortiz, Albert Pujols and Jimmy Rollins. Ramirez had floated retirement as a possibility after this season, but since has resolved to continue playing in 2015. The sides have a mutual $14 million option for next season with a $4 million team buyout.
• Jonathan Lucroy started the All-Star Game at catcher because of an injury to St. Louis’ Yadier Molina. Lucroy’s .312 average is tied for fifth in the National League. He had been 9-for-55 this month before a two-homer game Tuesday, which included a walk-off shot. It was his second career walk-off homer. Both have come against the Cincinnati Reds. The other: against flame-throwing Aroldis Chapman last Aug. 16.Greg Fiume/Getty Images
Ryan Braun has an 11-game hitting streak.
• First baseman Mark Reynolds had two homers Wednesday as Milwaukee completed a sweep of the Reds. Reynolds’ 16 homers are tied for 10th in the NL, but he also has a .207 average and .300 on-base percentage.
• Scooter Gennett departed Tuesday’s game with right quadriceps tightness and did not play Wednesday, although he is not considered a DL candidate. Gennett leads NL second baseman in average (.305) and slugging percentage (.481). Rickie Weeks started in his place.
• The Brewers recently mourned the loss of shortstop Jean Segura's 9-month-old son Janniel. The youngster unexpectedly passed away in the Dominican Republic on July 12. The 24-year-old Segura returned from bereavement leave on Friday.
• A 2 a.m. fire in the kitchen of a restaurant at Miller Park on Monday caused damage that has left an area of the ballpark unusable. The area includes a few escalators and elevators in left field, a concession area and meeting rooms.
• Yovani Gallardo has allowed 19 runs (16 earned) on 33 hits, four walks and a hit batter in 23 1/3 innings over his past four starts.
• The Brewers have been in first place since April 5.
• Ex-Met Carlos Gomez has been selected to two straight All-Star Games.
• Right fielder Ryan Braun has an 11-game hitting streak. His 224 career homers are third on the franchise’s all-time list. Robin Yount is No. 1 at 251. Prince Fielder is second at 230. Before this season, Braun only had one career appearance in right field -- in the 2009 All-Star Game.
• Francisco Rodriguez has 333 saves, which rank 12th all time. Next up is Rollie Fingers at 341. K-Rod’s All-Star selection this season was the fifth of his career. He last had been selected in 2009 as a Met.