Series preview: Mets vs. Braves
August, 25, 2014
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
Getty ImagesThe Mets face Alex Wood, Julio Teheran and Mike Minor this week at Citi Field.
Tuesday: RHP Dillon Gee (4-6, 3.84) vs. LHP Alex Wood (9-9, 3.05), 7:10 p.m. ET
Wednesday: RHP Zack Wheeler (9-8, 3.48) vs. RHP Julio Teheran (12-9, 2.96), 7:10 p.m. ET
Thursday: LHP Jonathon Niese (7-9, 3.47) vs. LHP Mike Minor (5-8, 4.09), 7:10 p.m. ET
Braves short hops
• Left fielder Justin Upton had a 13-game hitting streak end Saturday. He hit .413 (19-for-46) with five homers and 20 RBIs during the streak. Upton, who turned 27 on Monday’s off-day, is one of five active players to have produced 1,000 hits and 500 RBIs before celebrating that birthday. He joined Alex Rodriguez, Adrian Beltre, Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera. Upton’s 23 RBIs in August are his most in any month during his career.
• Phil Gosselin made his major league debut on Aug. 16. The righty-hitting Gosselin and lefty-hitting fellow rookie Tommy La Stella have shared second-base duties since Gosselin’s promotion. Dan Uggla was released by the Braves on July 18 (and again by the San Francisco Giants on Aug. 7). Gosselin, a 25-year-old University of Virginia product, can play all four infield positions as well as left field. He was leading the International League in hits when he was promoted.
• First baseman Freddie Freeman is hitting .364 with two homers, nine RBIs and a .484 on-base percentage in 21 games since Aug. 2.
• Banged-up shortstop Andrelton Simmons was given Sunday’s game off. Simmons suffered a sprained left ankle on Aug. 5 and missed six games. He then departed last Tuesday’s game with a sore left hip, although he returned to the starting lineup the following day.
• The Braves acquired Emilio Bonifacio, left-handed reliever James Russell and cash from the Chicago Cubs for minor-league catcher Victor Caratini at the non-waiver trade deadline on July 31. Lefty batters are hitting .299 and righty batters are hitting .113 against Russell this season.