Saturday, June 18, 2011
Mets morning briefing 6.18.11
By Adam Rubin
The Mets returned home and lost to the Angels, 4-3, to slip two games under .500.
Saturday's news reports:
• It may be a long shot, but the Mets want to move one of their full-season minor league affiliates to Long Island, Newsday reports. The Mets offered a statement that read: "The level of classification of the Mets-affiliated minor league team for the new ballpark is not yet determined, but it would be a full-season club. The provisions and terms of the response are not being made public." The ballpark would be at Mitchel Field, and would be part of the project to build a replacement for Nassau Coliseum, which needs voter approval, and is hardly a given. The owners of the independent Atlantic League's Long Island Ducks also bid. That league wants to put another team in Nassau County.
• Fox's Ken Rosenthal reports Jose Reyes met with agent Scott Boras about a possible representation switch. If that materialized, Reyes would be going after straight dollars, and he is likely playing elsewhere in 2012. Still, it's hard to believe Reyes would walk away from longtime agents Peter and Ed Greenberg and Chris Leible. Leible actually is the godfather to one of Reyes' children. The Greenbergs did lose Rafael Soriano to Boras last year. The original report stated Boras met last offseason with Reyes in the Dominican Republic, then again during the Mets' visit to Colorado -- and I did see Boras at Coors Field then -- but that part of the report has since disappeared.
• ESPNNewYork.com correspondent Mike Mazzeo writes: Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter was rushed to the emergency room on Thursday night after experiencing a "serious coughing attack" and having "shooting pains in his back," his daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote on a private family website Friday. During Friday's game against the Angels, the Mets placed a huge get-well card for Carter in the Jackie Robinson Rotunda at Citi Field so fans could sign it before it is sent to the Hall of Fame catcher.
• Francisco Rodriguez did not get to face his former team Friday night, but says it will be no big deal when he does pitch against the Angels.
• Read game stories in the Star-Ledger, Times, Daily News, Newsday, Post and Record.
• Irving Picard filed his response opposing the request of Mets owners to try to move the $1 billion-plus lawsuit out of banruptcy court, Newsday's Anthony M. Destefano reports. Writes Destaefano:
Irving Picard, the trustee trying to clean up the financial mess left by Madoff's massive Ponzi scheme, said in filings Friday in federal district court that the Wilpons and their partners in Sterling Equities are trying to do an end run around the bankruptcy court because they aren't happy with the way the case is going. Picard called the move to get the case transferred to Manhattan federal court a "transparent attempt at forum shopping" that has no merit, according to the trustee's filings.
BIRTHDAYS: Ex-Mets outfielder Dave Schneck turns 62. ... Former catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. turns 45. Sandy Jr. was 3-for-22 for the 2007 Mets, in his 20th and final major league season. Coincidentally, Alomar’s father Sandy Sr. also had 22 at-bats for the Mets. He was 0-for-22 in 1967. -Mark Simon