Print and Go Back ESPN.com: New York Mets [Print without images]

Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Wright: If Jose goes, anybody can go

By Ian Begley

For David Wright, reality has set in.

Even the eternally optimistic third baseman realizes there's a strong possibility Jose Reyes will not be a Met next year.

"You see the kind of interest that Jose's getting. You knew he was going to get it. But it finally kind of hits home," Wright said Tuesday at the ALS Association of Greater New York Chapter’s annual Lou Gehrig awards benefit in Manhattan. "When you hear the different reports about him speaking to different teams you know that it's a possibility, that it could be real, that he's not here."

The free-agent process for Reyes is just beginning. The Marlins and Brewers have reportedly expressed interest. And you can expect at least a few more teams to get in the mix.

Wright was asked if Reyes' decision would impact how he views his future with the organization.

"I guess so. I guess that this could affect things moving forward," Wright said. "I don't know for a fact -- I haven't spoken to the front office. I haven't spoken to anybody kind of about, I guess specifically my future. But you realize that it's a real thing that if Jose goes, I guess anybody can go, ya know?"

Mets officials are reportedly beginning to listen to offers on Wright. Wright says he's been staying in Virginia in the offseason and tries not to follow the rumor mill on a daily basis. But he sometimes receives text messages from friends when his name is involved.

"I don't think it surprised me," Wright said of the report. "From very early on playing in New York, you realize you try to control the things you can control and I have no control over that. As much as I enjoy playing here as much as I'd like to be here from beginning to end, you know that's not always the case.... Sometimes it doesn't work out the way you plan for it to work out."

Wright is under the Mets' control for two more years. He is signed for $15 million for next season, with a team option for 2013 at $16 million (or a $1 million buyout).

As for Reyes' future, an admittedly optimistic Wright hopes that the free-agent shortstop re-signs with the Mets.

"I don't know what he's going to do but I know what I want him to do and that's to be to my left next year," said Wright, who has exchanged text messages with Reyes, but not about baseball. "I guess that's the eternal optimist side of me, is that, he'll be to my left in spring training. But you never really know. Hopefully the organization values Jose the way that maybe I do and hopefully Jose kind of reciprocates that. Hopefully they can work something out."

WRIGHT'S BACK OK: Wright said that his top offseason priority is strengthening his back. He was sidelined for a little over two months last season after suffering a fracture in his lower back. He said he still feels discomfort when he wakes up in the morning and goes through a series of stretches to in the morning loosen and strengthen his back. But the third baseman added that he is not concerned about the injury affecting him in the future.

A FAN OF FENCES: Echoing comments he made previously Wright said he fully supports the new, more shallow, dimensions at Citi Field.

Said Wright: "When you play in a ballpark you want to fair to the pitchers and you want to be fair to the hitter. I think [GM Sandy Alderson] and the front office has [done] everything they can to really do that."