Thursday, April 19, 2012
Mets morning briefing 4.19.12
By Adam Rubin
David Wright matched Darryl Strawberry for the franchise's career RBI record at 733, but R.A. Dickey's streak of quality starts ended at 14 and the Mets lost Wednesday's rubber game to the Braves, 14-6.
The Mets finished their road trip to Philly and Atlanta at 3-3. They have an off-day Thursday, then host the San Francisco Giants for a four-game series. Jose Reyes follows into town with the Miami Marlins beginning Tuesday.
Thursday's news reports:
• Read game recaps from the trip-ending loss at Turner Field in the Post, Journal, Record, Daily News, Star-Ledger, Times and Newsday.
• Rookie center fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis reached base four times in his first major league game as a leadoff hitter. He could start Friday against left-hander Barry Zito. Read more in Newsday.
• Wright has reached base at least twice in each of his first nine games via hit, walk or hit by pitch. He became the first major leaguer with a streak of that length to open a season since Mike Cameron with Seattle in 2002. "He's off to a great start, and it's fun to watch him play," Terry Collins said. "It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, he's going to try to put a good at-bat on and I think that's the key. Right now he reminds me of what I saw in Jeff Bagwell in 1994 when he was the MVP. There was not an at-bat he gave away. David is on one of those streaks right now." Watch video of Wright discussing achieving the franchise RBI record here. Read more on Wright matching Strawberry, whose swing Wright used to mimic as a youngster, in the Post, Record, Star-Ledger, Daily News and Newsday.
• Zack Wheeler limited New Hampshire to one run in six innings in a 2-0 loss by Double-A Binghamton on Wednesday night. Read the full recap of minor league affiliates' games here.
• Ex-Met Lenny Dykstra was sentenced to nine months in jail after entering a no-contest plea to exposing himself to women whom he met via Craigslist.
• Chris Young has thrown batting practice twice, pitching coach Dan Warthen told the Star-Ledger. Young underwent surgery last May 16 to repair a torn anterior capsule in his right shoulder.
TRIVIA: Which current major leaguer played for the Brooklyn Cyclones during their inaugural season, in 2001?
Wednesday's answer: Bob Miller and Craig Anderson had the most losses as a starter to open a season with the Mets. The first 11 decisions as a starter for both in 1962 were losses.