Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Morning Briefing: Ike Vegas
By Matt Ehalt
Demoting Ike Davis didn't help.
In the Mets' first game since sending their first baseman to Triple-A Las Vegas, they were bludgeoned by the Cardinals, 9-2, at Citi Field on Tuesday night. Daniel Murphy, who took over at first, had an error in St. Louis' five-run fifth inning that broke open the game.
Wednesday's news reports
• Read game recaps in the Star-Ledger, New York Times, Daily News, Post, The Record and Newsday.
• Davis played his first Triple-A game on Tuesday night and said he was hoping to turn things around. Davis went 0-for-3. Read more in Newsday, the New York Times and Post.
• Murphy played first base on Tuesday night to allow Jordany Valdespin to play his most comfortable position of second base. Manager Terry Collins had no regrets of playing Murphy at first despite his error. Read more in the Star-Ledger, Wall Street Journal and Post.
• Jeremy Hefner allowed a three-run homer to Allen Craig that changed the complexion of Tuesday's game.
• Zack Wheeler may debut in the nightcap of the doubleheader in Atlanta on June 18. It originally had been indicated that Matt Harvey would get that game.
• David Wright and Robinson Cano will captain the squads in the Home Run Derby. Read more in the Star-Ledger and < a href="http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/all-star-game/david-wright-robinson-cano-named-home-run-derby-captains-1.5460744">Newsday.
• Collins said Tuesday that this is the toughest challenge he's faced as the Mets manager.
• Ruben Tejada resumed running on Tuesday. He's on the DL with a right quadriceps strain.
• Davis' father, Ron, is going to Las Vegas to help his son.
• Josh Satin, Collin Cowgill and Josh Edgin all rejoined the Mets for Tuesday's game. Read more in the Post and Newsday.
• Carlos Beltran has fared well since the Mets traded him.
• David Lennon writes in Newsday that the Mets are running into problems when they should be improving.
• From the bloggers .... Rising Apple examines whether Wally Backman should be the next Mets manager. ... Mets Report analyzes Sandy Alderson's interview on Monday. ... Mets Police isn't a fan of the All-Star game caps and jerseys. ...Blogging Mets examines whether Don Draper insulted the Mets on Mad Men.
BIRTHDAYS: Former Mets outfielder Damon Buford turns 43.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
YOU'RE UP: What did you think of Murphy's play at first base on Tuesday?