Saturday, June 15, 2013
Morning Briefing: Another loss
By Matt Ehalt
FIRST PITCH: Tuesday can't get here fast enough for the Mets.
On the day it was made official that top pitching prospect Zack Wheeler will debut Tuesday as part of a doubleheader that will also feature Matt Harvey, the Mets lost for the ninth time in 11 games, this time falling to the lowly Cubs, 6-3, on Friday night at Citi Field. They are now a season-worst 14 games under .500.
Saturday's news reports:
• Read game recaps in the Daily News, the Post, Star-Ledger, The Record, Newsday and the New York Times.
• Wheeler will debut Tuesday during the doubleheader against Atlanta, with Harvey lined up to start the afternoon contest. Wheeler will join the team Monday. Read more in the Daily News, Post and Newsday.
• Collins didn't say if Shaun Marcum is endangering his spot in the rotation. Marcum dropped to 0-8 with the loss on Friday.
• The Mets signed 11 draft picks. Fourth-round pick L.J. Mazzilli will be playing for the Brooklyn Cyclones.
• Rafael Montero might not debut this year due to an innings cap.
• Ruben Tejada is fielding grounders but isn't running yet. He's on the disabled list with a right quadriceps strain.
• In the Daily News, Anthony McCarron writes about David Wright offering support to Harvey as he deals with a lack of run support.
• From the bloggers ... Eddie Kranepool Society writes about how Wright has had enough of the All-Star hype. ... Mets Report wrote how Wright is handling the situation with grace.
BIRTHDAYS: Hall of Fame third baseman Wade Boggs turns 55.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
YOU'RE UP: Should Marcum be worried about his spot being in jeopardy with Wheeler's impending arrival?