Friday, September 27, 2013
Mets name organization award winners
By Adam Rubin
NEW YORK -- The Mets have named first baseman Allan Dykstra and catcher Kevin Plawecki as their co-minor league players of the year. Right-hander Gabriel Ynoa has been named the organization's top pitching performer.
Those prospects, along with individual level award winners, will be honored during a pregame ceremony at Citi Field on Friday night.
The individual level Sterling Award winners:
• Right-hander Rafael Montero (Las Vegas)
• Right-handers Noah Syndergaard and Jeff Walters (Binghamton)
• Outfielder/third baseman Dustin Lawley (St. Lucie)
• First baseman Jayce Boyd (Savannah)
• Right-hander Rob Whalen (Kingsport)
• Right-hander Robert Gsellman (Brooklyn)
• First baseman Dominic Smith (Gulf Coast League)
• Outfielder John Mora and left-hander Jose Medina (Dominican Summer League)
Dykstra earned Eastern League MVP honors. Ynoa won 17 games in the South Atlantic League, including two in the postseason as the Gnats won the title. Walters' 38 saves set the Binghamton single-season and career records. Lawley led the organization in homers (26) and RBIs (96). He jumped to Las Vegas for the postseason.
Whalen's 1.87 ERA ranked second in the Appalachian League. Smith, the Mets' first-round pick in June, hit .287 with three homers in 167 at-bats in the GCL.