New York Mets: Harold Reynolds
March, 7, 2014
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
Jeff Roberson/Associated PressDavid Wright is due to play in his first 2014 Grapefruit League game Friday.
FIRST PITCH: It’s time for David Wright to enter Grapefruit League play.
Wright and Daniel Murphy, held out the first week of exhibition play to attempt to reduce their risk of becoming injured during spring training, are expected to start on Friday as the Mets host the St. Louis Cardinals at 1:10 p.m. at Tradition Field (SNY).
John Lannan, originally scheduled to start Thursday’s rained-out game against the Houston Astros, pitches Friday in relief as part of a revised pitching schedule. Daisuke Matsuzaka, Rafael Montero and Steven Matz also are due to pitch.
Right-hander Carlos Martinez starts for St. Louis.
Friday’s news reports:
• Several Mets pitchers made progress in their returns from injuries Thursday, during a three-inning simulated game at Tradition Field. Bobby Parnell pitched in a game-like setting for the first time since last July 30. Expected Opening Day starter Jonathon Niese had his first game-like action since being sent to New York for an MRI of his pitching shoulder and called it a “great step forward.” And Bartolo Colon tossed three innings after nursing a calf injury early in camp. Colon pronounced himself ready to pitch Monday in an actual exhibition game.
Read more on Niese, Parnell and Colon and the intrasquad game in the Post, Daily News, Times, Star-Ledger, Record, Journal and Newsday.
• The banged-up position players are healing more slowly. Ike Davis batted during the simulated game but did not run. Davis, who believes he originally injured himself in the weightroom, suggested his cranky calves need more time to recover. Ruben Tejada (hamstring) also batted but did not run Thursday, but suggested afterward he was ready to appear in Friday’s game against St. Louis. Lucas Duda did not participate Thursday. He also is suffering from a hamstring issue. Read more in the Star-Ledger.
• Read more on Wright’s impending 2014 Grapefruit League debut in the Post, Daily News, Star-Ledger, Record, Newsday and MLB.com.
• Seth Everett will be named the pregame and postgame host for Mets radio broadcasts on WOR, a source told ESPNNewYork.com.
• The man charged with two misdemeanors for allegedly threatening the Mets via Twitter has applied for a program that may result in the charges being dismissed.
• New Fox Sports analyst Harold Reynolds tells the Post the Mets aren’t winning 90 games this season.
• Mookie Wilson’s “bromance” with Bill Buckner is covered in the Post.
• Michael Salfino in the Journal has a statistical comparison of Noah Syndergaard and Dwight Gooden entering their rookie seasons (Gooden entering 1984).
• From the bloggers … Rising Apple advocates trading a young pitcher – the big three excluded – for a shortstop. … NY Mets Life discusses instant replay.
BIRTHDAYS: Joel Carreño, a reliever in Mets camp who has 22 career appearances with the Toronto Blue Jays, turns 27. ... Jeff Kent, who received 15.2 percent of the vote in his initial year on the Hall of Fame ballot, is 46.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
Nice sunset tonight pic.twitter.com/VoT4XqgSzd— Zack Wheeler (@Wheelerpro45) March 6, 2014
YOU’RE UP: Was it wise to have David Wright and Daniel Murphy skip the first week of Grapefruit League play?
@MattHarvey33 the ladies love it— Zack Wheeler (@Wheelerpro45) March 7, 2014